Cal 25 MK2 and Lake Michigan

rjk15

Jul 21, 2013
Oday 13 Bailey's Harbor
I was looking into buying a Cal 25 MK2 over the summer to go sailing on Lake Michigan out of the Chicago Harbor. It's 25 feet, displaces 4500 lbs, and has 2000 lbs of ballast. I'm an experienced sailor, but I've never sailed a 25 footer by myself on Lake Michigan (Sailed a 12 footer on a calm day not too far out and chartered a 40 footer as a kid) so any help would be nice. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I was looking into buying a Cal 25 MK2 over the summer to go sailing on Lake Michigan out of the Chicago Harbor. It's 25 feet, displaces 4500 lbs, and has 2000 lbs of ballast. I'm an experienced sailor, but I've never sailed a 25 footer by myself on Lake Michigan (Sailed a 12 footer on a calm day not too far out and chartered a 40 footer as a kid) so any help would be nice. Thanks.
You need to be weather smart, but the Cal should be fine. We used to sail a Venture 24 out of Waukegan. Sailed across to Holland, up and down the coast from Chicago to Milwaukee. Boat was tender, rounded up when over powered but never anything frightening.

Pat T

Feb 15, 2009
Catalina 36MKII Waukegan, IL
Agree with Bill. You will be ok. Our 1st was a 25 Catalina. West then South winds are best in Chicago when you sail close to shore. Watch out for the North and East winds when they get up to about 15 kts. It can get quite rough.
Have you got a harbor picked out in Chicago?

rjk15

Jul 21, 2013
Oday 13 Bailey's Harbor
And not to get off topic, but I also had my eyes on an O'day 24 (staying within my current brand) which is a little lighter (24 feet, 4250 lbs displacement, 1650 ballast) and it's $700 cheaper. Which would you say is the better buy for my given situation? The O'day also has a trailer while the Cal 25 does not. Thanks again.

Apr 28, 2012
CAL 25-2 Kentucky Dam Marina
My Cal 25-2 is no problem to single hand given reasonable weather. I have not gone to the trouble to run lines aft, and I don't have a headsail furler. I will make those upgrades in coming seasons, but the boat really handles well, so I haven't felt that this was a pressing matter. Keep in mind that I am not on Lake Michigan, but Ky Lake.

As far as Oday 24 vs. Cal 25-2...I'm guessing by the numbers that the Oday has a swing keel rather than a fixed? If so I'm not sure those two are a good comparison. I like my fixed keel. But with that fixed keel comes the fact that you might not easily find a trailer to fit the Cal, assuming you have access to a big enough truck to pull it. The Cal is only 25, but it really sails and feels like a bigger boat, both performance wise and also just inside the cabin. According to what year's builds you are looking at, Cal's and Oday's were made in the same spot, so the build quality, fit and finish are very similar. So are you looking for a trailer sailor with a swing keel or a slip-only fixed keel boat?

rjk15

Jul 21, 2013
Oday 13 Bailey's Harbor
The O'day is a fixed keel and swing keel combo (not sure why...), but yes, a trailer would definitely help as I'm looking to take it to Door County and sail there a bit in the summer.

Feb 22, 2009
Cal 30 Muskegon, MI
No matter what boat you end up with in the 25' range, you'll do yourself a huge favor and make single-handed sailing much safer with a tiller pilot (autopilot). I've sailed on Lake MI for many years with a Catalina 25, C&C24 and now a Cal 30 and all of them have had a Raymarine ST2000.

It will cost you about $700. (unless you can find a used one) but is very easy to install and use. Being able to safely go below to use the head, go forward to free a jammed job sheet or anything else where you can entrust heading control to a reliable device is not only convenient, it can be a life saver.

Murph
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI