Cal 2-29 cylinder head

Oct 12, 2013
Islander 30 Seattle
I just bought a '73 2-29 about a month ago with the standard 12 hp farymann. It's a wonderful boat and I plan to liveaboard so it's a great space for that too. I planned to move it to a new marina a week ago. I got all prepped for the trip, got a crew ready and went and fire up the engine. I ran it for about 15 minutes to warm it up and everything looked in order. We launched out of the slip and headed out. As soon as we got to the breakwater and out to the sea, I heard a really loud "POP" and the cabin filled with a little bit of smoke. Less than a minute later, the engine died. We quickly pulled up the sails and got away from the jetty but the engine would not fire up again. I thought it was a fuel issue, but after getting back to the dock and inspecting further, I see that the cylinder head is cracked. It's likely that it had been welded in the past and that pop I heard was the weld breaking and flying out somewhere. I've been advised that I should replace the exhaust manifold as well as the cylinder head. Does anyone have experience with this and any advice/tips? Any idea where I can find parts for this 40+ year old engine? Any thought are greatly appreciated.