Cal 2-27 mast step question

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
While my new to me Cal 2-27 is still on the trailer I wanting to put a mast step plate on so that when I get around to runnning my halyards aft I'll have a place to attach turning blocks.
My question is about how the step is attatched. I see four bolts/studs with nuts showing on the exposed step but I can't see anything from inside. Is the step plate not trhough bolted? It it in fact studs fixed inside the cabin top that hold it on?

Thanks

Apr 28, 2012
CAL 25-2 Kentucky Dam Marina
If it is like my 2-25

While my new to me Cal 2-27 is still on the trailer I wanting to put a mast step plate on so that when I get around to runnning my halyards aft I'll have a place to attach turning blocks.
My question is about how the step is attatched. I see four bolts/studs with nuts showing on the exposed step but I can't see anything from inside. Is the step plate not trhough bolted? It it in fact studs fixed inside the cabin top that hold it on?

Thanks
Hi there, what I found on my '78 2-25 is that there were two bolts pointing down into the cabin top which did not go all the way through to the cabin, and two that were concealed by the mast compression post that point up through the cabin top and had nuts and washers on the mast plate side. So you might have to remove the compression post to get to the hardware on the mast plate.

Sharla

Mar 30, 2013
When the snow melts I'll take another look. But what I think I'm seeing is 4 nuts on the top side. Not familiar with the 2-25 but it would be a major undertaking to pull the compression post on my 2-27. Likely more than I want to tackle.

Apr 28, 2012
CAL 25-2 Kentucky Dam Marina
When the snow melts I'll take another look. But what I think I'm seeing is 4 nuts on the top side. Not familiar with the 2-25 but it would be a major undertaking to pull the compression post on my 2-27. Likely more than I want to tackle.
I was in the process of removing and replacing all of my bulkheads anyway, so I had "easy" access. I would hate to tackle getting that post out otherwise, and I hope to never be that disassembled again. I initially was going to add a mast plate for running lines aft as well. After getting a look at how thick my mast was, I decided to save my $ and go ahead and attach directly to the mast.

Mar 30, 2013
If it looks like a major take down to do it I'll forego the plate and attatch to the mast.