Cabin Woodwork in I36

Aug 13, 2022
Cal 34 Santa Barbara
Hi all,

I looked at an Islander 36 today. It looks pretty good, except some known leaks, although he’s unsure where it’s leaking from (stantions, hull to deck joint, windows. Probably a combination of all three). There was one stantion that is ripping apart the plywood underneath the deck due to water logging, but other than that looks okay.The most notable thing was that the cabinetry was separating from the cabin top near the head area. It looks as if it’s been flexing and the cabin has raised a bit? On the other side it is flush with the cabin top, but has pulled up from the floor. I’m not sure what to think of this, and was wondering if this is a problem with other islanders? Is this just a cosmetic issue since the mast is keel stepped, or is it a major problem that should prevent me from buying the boat? Thanks!

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I would be pretty wary about that boat - the asymetric gaps seen in the cabinet probably indicate the hull has shifted a bit as I doubt it left the factory like that. The interior water damage looks fixable however, the deck, which is likely cored with wood, is where your real concerns are. You should sound out the deck with a plastic/brass hammer and use a moisture meter see if the leaks got into the core.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On a boat like the Islander, the fit and finish is a pride of the builder. No indication about the boat's age. Impossible to geve much of an opinion without more information. Images of the deck, the standing rigging. That is why most boats that are going to take a serious bite in your boat budget should be looked at by a knowledgeable sail boat surveyor. Only you know how much of a risk taker - bargain hunter you are.