cabin top separation from salon bulkhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wes brandt

I recently purshased a Mistral 33 vintage 1971 with a wooden coach. There is separation occuring in the corners between the cabin top, and the salon/head compartment bulkhead. We have looked at chainplates and they seem fine. The decks were renewed 10 year ago including new teak decks. Any ideas what is causing this?

May 5, 2006
Knutson K-35 Yawl Bellingham
Wood flexes and moves

Obviously, whatever joint material they used wasn't up to the task. You could reseat with epoxy and mechanical fasteners. Is the bulkhead plywood?

W

wes brandt

HR 33 separation

This joint is the original and I assume the bulkhead is the same original material, ( Honduras Mahogany?) Thanks for your response

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Question?

Are there any significant differnces in your rig tension or perhaps is your mast down? A lack of weight or tension could be causing it. If there is sealant present and it has separated, I'd think that a flexible sealant would be preferable to epoxy. BobM

W

wes brandt

separation

The mast is up, and the standing rigging somewhat taught. It is either the chainplates pulling up, or the mainsheet which is on the cabin top which is causing the upward movement, I think thanks for the response

Status
Not open for further replies.