Cabin Table for Hunter 28.5

J&W

Jun 1, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Nepean Sailing Club
We purchased a Hunter 28.5 last year and it did not include a cabin/salon table for eating. We would like to use it as an additional sleeping area as well as folding up for eating. Does anybody have one for sale or know where we can get the hardware to make our own table that is adjustable.

many thanks
Judy & Wes

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The hardware is fairly straightforward. A piano hinge to mount the forward end of the table to the bulkhead. A strap hinge to mount the folding leg
(that holds up the table when it's deployed) on the underside - aft of the table. All available from a chandler online (SBO store, Defender, West Marine, etc.) or in your area.
The bigger job is building the table from scratch. Materials can be as simple as plywood and pine moulding from Home Depot/Lowes
to fancy with teak veneer and solid teak moulding.
Salon Idea.jpg
Salon Table.jpg
Intuition-Salon Port.JPG

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If you are thinking to have the table function both as a table and as the base to a bed, that's a bit more complicated. The simplest systems I've seen for that are making the table drop down to fit into a frame along the bench seat and having two sets of folding legs, one taller for the table and short ones on the outside edge when deployed as a bed. Not sure if this is making sense.

dj

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
We purchased a Hunter 28.5 last year and it did not include a cabin/salon table for eating. We would like to use it as an additional sleeping area as well as folding up for eating. Does anybody have one for sale or know where we can get the hardware to make our own table that is adjustable
Judy & Wes
[/QUOT

The original table was fixed on brackets welded on the mast support and did not drop down. The sides folded down. IMO the biggest waste of space was the huge u shaped cushion. I removed mine entirely along with the side cushions. I built narrow back rest cushions to replace the side cushions and fastened them just below just below the side shelf. This gave the seats greater hip room. Large pillows covered up the foot wells. Since I needed to replace the bottom cushions I made the new ones 24"" wide and added small wood width extensions under the new cushions. Made for 2 excellent berths. I was getting ready to remove the table all together but sold the boat I was going to make a table that slid under the v-berth much the same as the one found on the Dana 24. It would be supported by the compression post.

Hope this is somewhat clear and might be of use to you.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Do you have the round socket on floor . If so your table had an accordion post mounted to table. To make a copy you could use a finished piece of plywood with plumbing pipe as legs. The. Floor socket is about 2 1/2" them mount a flange to bottom plywood but you'll have to have 2 pieces of pipe shorter bed piece about 1' and taller table piece

J&W

Jun 1, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Nepean Sailing Club
thanks everyone
We would like to build a table around the existing post that folds out, but need the hardware with up and down movement. Any ideas!