Cabin Sole

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nick Fletcher

I have a newly purchased Mk II that came with a carpet cut to fit the cabin sole. The carpet is a home type and I know it will be a problem, at least it is not glued down. I would like to replace it with a type that would be more condusive to marine conditions. What experiences has the group had and is there a precut floor covering or pattern availble for a C30. All input would be welcome. Thanks Nick Fletcher C30TFIN "Panacea" Cedar Mills Marina Lake Texoma, TX

P

Pat

First of all keep the current rug as a pattern....

....because I had the same issue on my 1986. I threw out the original thinking I could easily get a new one. I bought a replacement from Catalina and it didn't fit so I had to send it back. Then I had to make my own pattern from paper so I could buy a carpet from the local rug store. I gave them the pattern and picked out a good quality rug and they cut it and sewed a border around it. It looked better than the original. I had it for years and I belive the current owner still uses it. A good quality rug will hold up as long as you don't really abuse it. You also have the choise of many colors and patterns if you don't buy from Catalina. I chose a subtle tan pattern that didn't show all the small pierce of lint, etc, and it blended well with the wood.It should not be glued down. You want to be able to get into the bilge anyway and you can always take it home to clean. If you have a thick enough rug it will stay in place.

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
What we did

We used our old carpet as a template. Purchased some carpet from a local hardware superstore that indicated it had "marine backing." Total cost was about $45 for enough to make two carpets for our 1988 Catalina 30. We cut it and put in into the boat to make sure it would fit, intending to have the edges bound later. It looked so good (and still does) that we find no need to bind it. And the other poster is correct. You don't really want to glue it down because you will need to lift it to examine the bilge from time to time. Ours remains in place no matter what ... underway with a lot of heel and folks walking on it, etc. The marine backing I spoke of is a grippy (wonder if that's a word?) rubberized compound of some sort. We're very happy with it and somewhat particular. I was amazed that we would decide not to have the edges bound but still see no need for it. Regards, Gary Kunkel

M

mortyd

carpet

nick, when i bought my mkii i was convinced the carpet was good for maybe two months; now it's three seasons and the carpet looks like the day i bought the boat. save money and give it a chance.

N

Nick Fletcher C30TFIN :Panacea

Thanks to Pat, Marty and Gary for your responses.The existing carpet is not marine grade and slides around a lot, so I think I will replace it with the marine grade. I do have one more question. Is it better to have one large peice cut to fit or three peices, galley, dinnet and saloon runner? It seems to me that the one large peice is difficult to get under and if one part gets ruined than it is all ruined. You thoughts are appreciated. Nick

M

mortyd

sole

people are always asking things on this forum as if catalina was out of business; contact them - i have alway found them most helpful. my carpet is one piece and i have no problems. i have no idea if it is marine grade, or what that means.

A

Augie Byllott

Cabin carpet

If you're concerned with "slippage", why not get some double sided carpet tape and put a few strips in places where it appears they might do some good. Don't cement the whole thing down. That's overkill and you'll have serious regrets when you decide to remove or replace it.

Mar 26, 2006
- - Mystic, CT
Another option for border

For the edges, I have have used iron-on binding which I bought at Jo-anne's fabrics. It prevents the edges from fraying and has lasted 3 years and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.