Cabin Sole

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott Vickery

I have started to replace the cabin sole. Have any of you 28.5 owners done this before and if so how did it go? My drain lines from the ice box and shower are toast. Any ideas on how to replace them? Its a pretty tight fit down there! I should have left well enough alone but I think I will be better off in the long run. Scott

H

hp

28.5 sole replacement

Scott, I haven't done it, but would be interested in your experience. Mine looks pretty bad and I had thought about trying to refinish it. Replacement sounds like the best idea, but I wasn't sure if it fits under the sink cabinet. I may have the same problem with the shower hose. The sole boards get wet whenever water flows from the shower to the bilge. I suspect the hose is busted..

S

Scott

Deck Sole

I have started the job. I have found some neet things about the H28.5!! Not so good things. The big one is the drain lines from the ice box and shower. Both were in bad shape and I am going to replce them FUN FUN FUN.The only way to replce them is to pull them out, thats a pain in the you know what. For the ice bow I will have to install a round access cover in the quarter birth just inside the door and close to the deck. This is so I can fish the new hose to the ice box and hook it up. For the shower I am going to get a bit creative. I will cut an access hole in the glass at the bottom of the shower door (cabin side)( so I can do the same thing as the ice box). I will cover the hole with a pice of teak and a neopream gasket. I think it should work well and look good too! The deck does go under the gally sink and I found all the wires for the batteries going through a hole in the sole. I had to break the sole to pull the sole out from under the sink. The new sole: I bought a pice of marine grade ply with the teak and holly, just like an OEM sole. I used the old sole for a template and cut the new one out,only I cut the sole in 2. I will now have access to the full bilge. The new sole looks great. Now that it has been done I will be glad to help out anyway I can, if anyone else is thinking about doing this to a H28.5. Its a big job ,but well worth it. Scott

M

mark schaefer

bought it from hunter

scott..i bought a new sole from hunter..cost 300...had to cut it in half to get it in the boat..it is just a six inch cut just aft of the piece that gives access to that stinking grid section.that provides all the water that ruined your floor in the first place...i put a couple of coats of varnish on both sides and caulked around the edges to keep water from coming up on top...good luck

J

jim reed

heresy?

how about just overlaying the existing sole with a synthetic laminate with the teak/holly pattern. I sailed on a charter yacht with a sole fabricated from that material. The stuff probably lasts a long time, doesn't need refinishing, and is fairly easy to apply or remove as needed. Just cut to fit and no removal of the existing sole is reqd.

Status
Not open for further replies.