Cabin heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith

I am looking into putting a cabin heater in my boat that uses the engine coolant to suppy the heat much like the one we use in our cars. I believe Red Dot makes one. Just wondering if any one has done so and how they like it. Any major problems with the plumbing? Does it interfere with the water heater? Thanks

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Paul, have you installed yours yet?

Hi Keith! A little way down you'll see a post titled "Red Dot Installation". Paul was thinking about buying one & I just wondered if he took advantage of it. We have one but haven't installed it yet. I'll be glad to pass on the information once Rob finally gets it installed! I understand they're the "bomb" but don't really know if they'll interfere with the water heater on your boat. LaDonna

B

Bob Teeter

I installed the large two fan Red Dot Heater in our C 42. It will drive you out of the cabin when it is turned on either low or high (85-90 degrees). It does not seem to change the water heating from the engine. The only thing that I have to complain about is that it is very, very noisy. A positive is that you won't complain about engine noise after you install a Red Dot. There are other models out there other than Red Dot that use either squirl cage fans or computer muffin fans. They may make less noise. I have a long run on my connection hose. I ran if from the engine to the heater and then from the heater to the water heater. It is good to be warm!!!

K

Keith

Thanks for the fast replys

Thanks for the quick replys. I also was wondering if you get much heat from the unit during the summer when you have the fans turned off. I thought I might put in a shut off valve in the coolant line to keep the heat out of the unit during warm times but of corse keep the line open to the hot water heater. thanks again

B

Bob Teeter

Keith, I was thinking along those same lines, but decided not to. I have not noticed any increase in cabin heat during the summer months. I'm sure there is some heat there, but it has not been a problem. I felt that I could always add the necessary valves if it became a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.