C36 Clew Outhaul "Car" - improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My 1984 C36 has an aluminum "car" of sorts that rides in the boltrope slot. It does not work well at all. I've seen the articles on folks improving the internal outhaul tackle, but has anyone improved this car, or replaced it with something better?

Thanks,

jv

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
jviss, IIRC, someone once installed a short piece of track on the top of the end of the boom with a ball bearing car with a block on top of it. Pretty big arrangement for back there. Most of the folks I know, after they've done the internal boom improvements you mentioned, just lubricate the heck out of it.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Since you have a bolt rope along the foot and not a loose footed main you need to clean out the track that car rides in (and lube it once cleaned).
does your out haul line work smoothly when not under load? That can be a problem area too.

We now have a loose footed main. The "clew car" that came with the sail quickly broke so we have been using a strong sail tie tied around the boom since then.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks guys. I'm going to a loose-footed main. The standard car never really worked well; even lubricated, it was hard to move by hand with no load on it! I also don't like the aesthetics of it all, it's so rectilinear and non-shippy looking. :)

I'm thinking of a track with a car on it. However, if I go to single line reefing as I am planning, and remove the track and reefing blocks on the starboard side of the boom, I could just go with the Velcro strap to hold the clew down, and use the outhaul tackle shackled directly to the clew.

I prefer the car, I think.

How much travel is needed, I mean, how long a piece of track? I have no experience with loose footed mainsails.

Any recommendation for a car and track, i.e., vendor, model?

Comments?

Thanks,

jv

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you're going to the "trouble" then go double line reefing. The tack always needs less oomph than the clew.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If you're going to the "trouble" then go double line reefing. The tack always needs less oomph than the clew.
Sorry, Stu, I don't get your point. What "trouble" are you referring to?

I currently have two line slab reefing, and a friend has a new boat with single line, and he's super-experienced sailing, and said it works well. I'm trying to make the boat easier to sail; hence, single line reefing.

Odd that you say the tack needs less, typically the tack reefing lines are heavier than the clew. I think the tack loads are higher.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Stu, maybe you can help me out. I know about the C36 outhaul upgrade, to a higher mechanical advantage, that someone did and wrote about, but I simply can't ind it. Would you be so kind as to reply with the link?

Thanks,

jv

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 400 MkII Noank, CT
JV,
There is also a writup (with pictures) in the Feb 2005 issue of Mainsheet.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Here's the main problem with the alum car -- the pulling motion for the outhaul line is downward and that causes the car to dig into the boom. I don't think much of the internal system. Even if you take it apart and repair it the system messes up again.

One solution is 2 small Harken triple blocks, which are expensive little bugger but they do the trick and the pulling motion is horizontal. Another solution is just eliminate the alum car.

The best solution is one developed by a friend of mine and and mentioned by Stu J and it involved installing a track and he had Garhauer build him a small car. It works great but involves cutting the sail to make it work.

The 2 Harken triple blocks are poor mans solution.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 400 MkII Noank, CT
JV,
Maybe an even simpler solution is to have your sailmaker sew on an aluminum slug at the clew, and do away with the car completely. That's what I did on my 1987 C36, and it worked very well. Combined with the increased purchase for the outhaul, I never had a problem. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Feb 6, 2012
Catalina 34 lake champlain
JV,
Maybe an even simpler solution is to have your sailmaker sew on an aluminum slug at the clew, and do away with the car completely. That's what I did on my 1987 C36, and it worked very well. Combined with the increased purchase for the outhaul, I never had a problem. Hope this helps.
Hi,

This is the way I also have my sail setup. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.