C350 vs H356 continued.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

If anyone is trying to decide between the Catalina 350 and Hunter 356 here's something else to consider. I've been going into the Hunter Owner's site (in disguise of course) and have learned that some Hunter owners are replacing the factory supplied traveler with a better one as handling the mainsheet sometimes requires the help of the winch which is located forward of the cockpit on the coach house roof.......... the wind ain't the only thing that's gonna mess up your hair! Also, the H356 is experiencing other teething and quality control problems but in all fairness to Hunter, they appear to be "Johnny on the spot" when it comes to standing behind their products.

C

Chic

350 - 356

Been round and round with this issue for 6 wks. YOur point is well made except the adjustable traveler they are talking about adding is an option already with Hunter. Our dealer only brings in their boats with this option. Not to bash any boat since different things appeal to different people, but when you equip both boats equally the Cat 350 is 15k more. It's hard to justify since I truly do not believe it is better built by 15k. For us the interior just won't work the salon is TINY and the forward berth (the big selling feature) doesn't work for a male 6'2". I'm sure it will work for a shorter person but I won't work for us.

C

Chris Gonzales

Chic....

Are you saying the C350 salon is TINY or the Hunter?

B

Bill

Chic.........

My dealer's quote to me on the C350 is about the same as I was quoted for a H356 and while the 356's base price may be lower, you have to pay additional for the fin keel, refrigeration, windlass...and the traveler(which makes me ask why have an arch if you don't have a traveler), all items which are standard on the Catalina boat. I will agree with you that I think the forward cabin in the 350 is a waste of space. The berth is on the small side and no one's going to get into the thing from either side anyway so I'd just as soon have a nice V-berth and shove the head further forward thereby opening up the saloon. The saloon on the C350 isn't small by any means but the intrusion of the head into it certainly makes it seem smaller. One of the things I like most about a Catalina is that it really looks like a sailboat rather than an amphibious vehicle with a stainless steel rear spoiler. A simple forestay and backstay and shrouds rather than a maze of wires running skyward. Nice wide weatherdecks and deep coamings and look in the anchor locker and you won't see raw fiberglass. Finally, there's nothing wrong with going around about this for 6 weeks. Hell, they're still goin round and round about abortion rights and Roe v Wade was years ago

C

Chic

Guys I'm not saying go 356 or 350 and for sure I am not sold on the B&R rig although after extensive research it seems many people are happy with it. As for the arch our next boat will have a bimini so it will be hidden and it does work as a good attachment point. As for the salon, WE though it was tiny. the forward seat of the table for two is parralel to the door of the head and is literally out of the salon area. Seating around the main table was small and limited and not much room for seating in general. I realize on a Cat site I shouldn't say these things just voicing an opinion, MINE. By no means is the HUNTER PERFECT EITHER. As for price, I should talk to yiour dealer, where we are a huge difference. Autopilot is $4500-5000 since it has to be a 5000 or higher. You CAN NOT USE A WHEELPILOT ON A DIAMOND SERIES PEDESTAL. That adds $ there. My quote has everthing that the 350 has and more and it was still 15k less.

I

Ivana

From a 350 Owner

I am an estactic owner of a 350. I am soooooo glad I chose this boat over the Hunter. In the salon I can choose the large table or the small table or the double conversion (it does need some modifications that I will do this winter). I am a woman single hander and I can do this boat with no problem since I have the in-mast furler and the standard windlass with my Spade and Bruce anchors set up on the double rollers. I love the forward cabin. It has been plenty large enough for me and whoever has shared my bunk. I love the details on the boat and it sails tacks powers and handles the best of all the seven boats I have owned prior. The hardware is all first rate. The side decks are a dream. I love the factory canvas, the deep seaworthy cockpit, the room in the cockpit for three adults to lay down if they want, the coamings flat for seating and seeing, the stern seats, I could go on and own. This boat is the best production boat of it's class and I am sure it is going to win some awards for Catalina. I am going sailing the entire month of September and I am going to have the best time on this really great vessel. Hope you all make the best choice for you. For me it definitly was the Catalina 350. Ivana at Wndchime11@aol.com

T

Tom

Ivana...You have the SPADE and Bruce anchors up

front on the boat ready to deploy...Wow - you are really set up for cruising now....I wish I had the double roller set up. What size SPADE anchor did you get the 80 (35lbs) or the 100 (44lbs) and what size Bruce? Have you tried either anchor extensively before. I have the SPADE 100 and I am very happy so far.

I

Ivana

Anchors for the 350

I have the larger spade and a 35# Bruce. I have extensive experience with the Bruce and find it to be a "restfull" anchor. The spade is new to me. I was intrigued by the article in Practical Sailor concerning the attributes of this anchor so I have set it up as my primary and the Bruce as secondary. At this moment though, I have no experience regarding the Spade.

E

Ed

Catalina 350

My wife and I just toured a new Catalina on the hard stand yesterday - wow, what nice rig! We had just finished a couple of hours on Catalina 310 model that we have been considering, but now that I have seen the 350 I feel very torn. The incredible room, storage and many nice touches are everywhere. I am 6'1", so I don't know if the forward berth will work, but I sure hope so. You are so lucky to be sailing your 350 now - I have to wait another year!

R

Ron

Sandra Cardoe

Nice artical. I can confirm your happiness with your new boat.

B

Bob Roth

Another 350 Owner

We just completed a week on the 350. I must agree with Ivana. This boat is just fantastic in so many respects. We had two 8 hour legs in blazing heat with two kids that found so much to do below. They rarely came up to the cockpit. There is just so much space and accommodation below. The Windlass, the electric head, and the Dutchman Flanking system all performed flawless. Like Ivana, I have also owned a couple of other sailboats. This is an entirely different experience. She drew a lot of attention too which always makes a new owner feel good. The sailing experience ... hmmm.....with steady 11 knot wind with peak gusts at 24 knots with the boat on a broad reach and a 135 Genoa and full main, the boat is a rocket. To windward she gets up on her side real quick and remains very responsive. Single Point reefing and all lines leading to the cockpit make her easy to single-hand. She points inside of 30 degrees. The full complement of RayMarine ST 5000+ auto pilot, wind speed and depth all work like a charm. I am still not sure if the boat was designed as a racer/cruiser or just a fun sailing cruiser but whatever you want to call it, it is just great. Sailing and boat ownership should always be this enjoyable.

I

Ivana

September Cruising

Bob, so glad you agree. I will be out after Labor Day for the entire month. I expect to know this boat in and out by the time I return. Where do you sail? If anyone sees me in the Chesapeake in September starting from Havre deGrace and ending up who knows where, please come over and say Hi! Ivana

Status
Not open for further replies.