C34 or C36

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat M

I'm looking for a nice cruiser to live aboard 6 monthes out of the year and sail the Caribbean. I've been looking at mid-80's Catalina 34's and 36's. Other than the obvious differences in price and size, are there any other considerations. Is one made better than the other and has a greater reputation?

B

Bob Robeson

It's a 36

34 or 36. Boy, you picked 2 very good boats. Here is my opinion: The size, stablity and performance of the 36 is hard to over look. Even today, after being in production for 18 years, the 36 has almost a years waiting list to buy a new one. It is heavly sought after in the used market and most bring as much or more than when they sold new, even from the mid 80's. In has been boat of the year, and is the most popular 36 sailboat ever produced. If you can find a 36 that meets your conditions and price, you will not go wrong with a 36. I hear the 34 is about in the same boat (pun intended)but the room and comfort that the 36 give you gives a slight nod to the 36. The older 36's have fuel tank problems and heat exchanger problems. Catalina has a retro fix for the fuel tank and $300 for a new larger heat exchanger if the one you find does not already have it. Go aboard both, sail both and get the one you like the best. Both are great boats. Good luck Bob Emeral Odyssea 1986 C-36 #586

G

Gary Jensen

36 for sure

Although the 34 is a good boat, get the 36! Especially if your plans are like you say. I sold my 36 and bought the 380 (March 2000) and miss it. She sailed well, pointed great and her beam/layout is the best inch for inch on the market. I even like the older models better than the newer ones. Mine was a 1986...The best year, in my opinion, is the 1991. It has the open transon, yet the chart table still faces forward. Of course the 380 is even bigger and it sails well too, but they are still new to the market and command another $50,000.(something to consider)

C

Charlie Pearsall

C34 Because . . .

The C34 has the best owners web site (c34.org) of any Catalina. The layout is superior in many ways: rear head allows you to hang wet foulies without dripping the length of the cabin, better (safer) companionway steps (not as steep and handholds on both sides). The tall rig has just one sq. ft less sail area (100% jib) than the standard C-36, and the C-34 is only 5" less in waterline. The base boat costs less, so you can add more goodies for the same outcome. And your slip fees are less, too.

M

Michael C. Froelich

Dicisions, Dicisions

Life is so tough, isn't it? I purchased my new 36 mkII after looking very carefully at both the 34 and 36. It is amazing that two boats can be so alike yet so different. From the outside...so alike, from the inside...so different. They both have great features. I chose the 36 because I liked the layout. It was very similar to that of my previous Catalina 30, which I loved. Not having sailed on a 34, I cannot comment on it's handling yet a friend on my dock has a new one and he loves everything about it. My 36 sails like a dream. It's a tough call, but either way you cannot go wrong. Good Luck, Michael Froelich "Second Wind" Hull # 1880

M

Michael C. Froelich

Decisions, Decisions

Life is so tough, isn't it? I purchased my new 36 mkII after looking very carefully at both the 34 and 36. It is amazing that two boats can be so alike yet so different. From the outside...so alike, from the inside...so different. They both have great features. I chose the 36 because I liked the layout. It was very similar to that of my previous Catalina 30, which I loved. Also, the 36 is a great sailing boat. Not having sailed on a 34, I cannot comment on it's handling or sailing characteristics. Although a friend, on my gangway, has a new one and he loves it. It's a tough call, but either way you cannot go wrong. Good Luck, Michael Froelich "Second Wind" Hull # 1880

D

David Smith

I would go for the 36 MKII

Either way you go you will probably show the same admiration for your choice. I chose the 36. When sailing and we hit 8.2 knots and the water leaves quietly behind as she slips through the sea you know you are on a well designed boat. The creature comforts are excellent and you will confidently look forward to travel with quite a bit of space for gear and comfortable accomodations for guests.

Mar 21, 2005
Hunter 23.5 Lake Keowee, SC
Buy the 24

I have Frank Butler on videotape describing the sailing characteristics of the 34 vs the 36. Frank calls them identical. The 34 is 15K less than the 36 and fits in a standard 35' slip. The interior layout uses the space better though the 36 has a bit more storage room for extended cruising. If it truly is performance you seek buy the 38.

A

Art Golden

34 or 36.....

I own a '93 36. while I'm sure there are differences between a mid 80's and an early 90's....the bottom line is having enough room for you, a companion, and most importantly...room for food and supplies. Good friends of mine with a '90 36 are preparing to move aboard and that's what they have been telling me about their preperation.

J

John Wilson

The 36

The 36 MKII would be your best bet. For creature comforts and sailability, she just can't be beat. We have 4 fairly new ones in our marine (1997 or newer) and not a one of us would trade for some of the larger, more expensive boats. Sure, Catalina is a production boat, but Frank and the guys run a great facility and you get your money's worth. John Wilson President The Technology Shop, Inc. Air do Shocair (Gaelic for At Our Leisure) #1795

M

Matt Boulton

Consider the headroom

Before purchasing Andelain, our '88 C36, we considered a 34. For me, being 6'3", a key deciding factor was the availability of standing headroom throughout the C36's interior. Beyond that, we've been delighted with all aspects of the C36, from sailing performance to accommodations to storage area, and would highly recommend it to anyone.

P

Peter Larson

The 36 - but I own one...

3 yrs ago we were looking at both the 34 and 36 - we bought the 36 - the 34 is a great boat, I just liked the layout in the 36 better. I like having the head forward. The galley is bigger, the berths are bigger. We (2 adults, 2 boys -8 and 6) rotate the dinette table 180 degrees and get another 8 inches of walking space in the salon - and there's no compression post in the middle of the table. We leave the starboard side table down for a settee. Sit on the settees on both boats - the seating is deeper and much more comfortable on the 36. The storage is great. The aft berth is enormous. As far as sailing characteristics, the 36 has been superb. We have a tall rig with wing keel. Overall, I think you get much more boat in the 36 for not a lot more money than the 34.

C

Craig Cody

Bigger is better

I happen to think that bigger is better. I have a 1985 36 and live aboard full time. Before buying, I had sailed both, but several weeks apart. Then I was at a brokerage that had both at their docks, side by side. If you see the two like this, the difference is really quite astounding. The 36 is just plain bigger. I sailed both boats that day. (The broker was a friend, and didn't make me put a deposit down, even though he knew I wasn't buying that day. Easy to do since the brokerage owned both boats.) Anyway, while the 34 was a great boat, the 36 was far and away the better sailing vessel. I had heard many 36 owners say that it was the best sailing boat they had ever owned, and now that I have mine, I concur. The 36 has great headroom, and for liveaboard, much more storage. I'm just now in the process of utilizing some of the "dead" space, like under the V-berth. See if you can find a 34 and 36 side by side and make the comparison.

B

Bob Robeson

10 to 2 on the 36 site. What about on the 34 site

Try the same question on the 34 (mid size) site Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.