C310 Vertical Windlass Refit

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
The windlass that came with the 310 was nearly useless to me (only slightly better than not having one at all!). I eventually came up with a modification that has been quite nice in practice (I did this refit back in 2018, so it has been tested by time). The replacement windlass is a Maxwell RC8-8 (1000w) and I use it with about 130ft of 5/16" chain and a 35lb Mantus anchor. This modification might be too drastic for some, but has worked well for me. I can easily lower and raise the anchor from the helm.

The material used was 2 layers of 1/2" foam core with about 6 layers of fiberglass (I prototyped the fit with a 2x8 board... which could have been used instead of the foam core). The forward cross piece is glassed in, but the longer piece that the windlass mounts on is removable with 6 stainless bolts. I did not use the existing foot switch, as I have a helm mounted switch as well as a wireless remote. It is unnecessary to open the anchor locker hatch for operation, but the port side is easily opened, while the starboard side requires loosening the chain from the windlass (I rarely ever open it). For me, as a cruiser, I'd have to say this is the best modification that I have made to the boat and would not hesitate to do it again.

Sorry for waiting so long to share this.
-Allen

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a nice refit. Appears to resolve your issues. Thanks for sharing.

The right side of the anchor hatch is now removable, but does not fold up or down, is that correct?
The chain runs out over the hatch, has there been any damage to the fiberglass?
With the hatches closed, is the anchor well sealed or water over the bow can get into the anchor locker?

The Maxwell 1000W sure has enough power to raise that anchor. I like the selection.

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
The right side of the anchor hatch is now removable, but does not fold up or down, is that correct?
The chain runs out over the hatch, has there been any damage to the fiberglass?
With the hatches closed, is the anchor well sealed or water over the bow can get into the anchor locker?

The Maxwell 1000W sure has enough power to raise that anchor. I like the selection.
No. The right side is hinged as well and can be opened if you loosen the chain around the windlass.
If you look at the last photo, I've placed a 4" wide stainless steel plate under the chain path.
The anchor locker on the C310 is a self bailing wet locker. It came that way from the factory... no need to waterproof it.
Yes, the RC8-8 is a really nice windlass... very happy with it.