C28-MK II Weather Helm

Aug 5, 2014
Columbia 28 MK II Anacortes, WA
Hi All, new to the forum here, and see that it doesn't get a ton of traffic these days (what, are all the Columbias coming out of the water!?)---but thought I'd pose a question to see if there is any communal insight to be offered.

I have an older C28 MK II (recently re-launched after 15 years on the hard) with *original* sails....yes, that old. I suffer from pretty severe weather helm and rounding up in anything over 12 knots going to weather, and something even on more "reachy" points of sail. It's pretty frustrating from a sailing perspective, and I really want to find a fix or else I'll quickly lose interest in keeping the boat for much longer.

I'm looking into replacing my mainsail (finally), and hoping that will be the solution. I also recently put a brand new, much upgraded Harken main traveler on the transom.

My question: Has anyone else with a C28 experienced significant weather helm issues? If so, any tips on how to address? Is it reasonable to think my tired sails (known to pull the Center of Effort aft when they get baggy, thus rounding up) are the culprit, or are there known C28 design flaws that I need to consider?

I'll be replacing the main regardless, but would appreciate any good tips on maximizing / optimizing a C28 sail plan.

Cheers!

Aug 5, 2014
Columbia 28 MK II Anacortes, WA
Hi Stu, really appreciate the info. As you say, that thread does have a lot of very useful information. I think much of the dacron sail issues (exaggerated by my old sails) are likely the culprit of my issues, but I'm eager to test that theory in practice. Appreciate the tips.

Of course, still very interested if other C28 owners have boat-specific tips/tricks, but agree that much of this is trim / rigging / sail plan issues more than actual boat design.

Cheers.