C- 38 Main halyard replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod Headlee

I am replacing the main halyard on my Catlina 38 and can't decide whether to use 7/16 or 1/2 sta-set x. I want the end result of my rig replacement to be offshore worthy, but on the main halyard, is bigger better? Isn't the load on the luff, rather than the headboard, once the sail is raised? I currently have rope to wire...what's left of it :eek:( The break strength is 7400lbs for the 7/16 and 9600lbs for the 1/2 inch. The difference in price is 50 bucks, the difference in weight aloft is 6 lbs according to the shipping weight. Will a 1/16 of an inch make a diffence in being able to use my stock sheave? Can I use the stock sheave? Any tips for installation would be appreciated. Thanks, Rod

D

Dick Kilroy

Main Halyard

Rod: I am a new Catalina 38 owner. When we bought the boat it had a generic rope main halyard. Because of success we had last year with our other boat a Morgon 382, I replaced it with a Vectran 10 mm and paid large dollars to have it spliced ( $40) It works great and has no stretch. We finished 3rd in class in the Marion-Bermuda last year in the Morgon and I attribute much of this to high tech halyards. A large rope distributor up here sells this stuff as remnents up to 150 Ft at $15.00 a pound, this would include T 900 and Spectra as well. R&W Ent New Bedford Ma. 800 260 8599 or 508 997 3933. They don't do splices but sent them out to be done. Happy Sailing

R

Rodney Kidd

Vectran

Rod, I just replace my main halyard with Vectran and I am very happy with it. It doesn't seem possible, but the all Vectran halyard has less stretch the the old wire/rope halyard had. The new halyard is 10mm. Rod Kidd C-38 #297, Flying Bear

R

Rod Headlee

Thanks for your input guys

My new Mast Mate came today. I can go up and see what size line my sheeve will accept. I plan on using the 10mm Vectran. Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.