C-30 outhaul repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Need to replace the internal rigging on my outhaul. Line is frayed. Has anyone made this repair? It appears that it can be done from the aft end of the boom by removing the cap and taking tension off the line to access the internal pulleys. Suggestions? Problems?

May 24, 2005
catalina - Sidney BC
Outhaul

Did it a couple of years ago. Forget the details but recall I took off boom and took it home. Removed the end pieces and the internal pullys ... replaced my outhaul line and the pullys and reassembled. I used a length of line to allow me to run it along the boom to the cockpit so i no longer not need to go forward to adjust the outhaul. It works great now. Not complicated and it will be pretty self evident what to do.

Have fun!

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Personally, I don't think much of the C30 internal outhaul. I think it was poorly designed. The vast majority of C30's I've been on have the outhaul jambed. That makes it like the broken clock - the setting is right for some point of sail and wind condition and wrong for all others. As a results most sailors don't bother with the outhaul and that is a shame as it is a very importnat sail trim control. You can't adjust draft depth without the outhaul!!

I tried to fix mine. I took the boom off the boat and brought it home. First problem was getting the end caps off. I would have had to drill them out and I was sure I'd break one of the 2 cheap pot metal caps in the process so I scraped that project and painted the boom.

I felt there had to be a better way and I dreamed one up. There is another problem with the internal system that I wanted to eliminate. The way the outhaul lines pulls is downward. In other words, as the slug moves aft in the track this motion causes the slug to dig into the boom and that creates a lot of friction. It is easier to watch it happen than to describe it.

The FIX was simple. I purchased two small Harken triple blocks (expensive little buggers but worth it). One was attached to the tang on the end of the boom and the other to the slug. I installed a turning block so the outhaul line could follow the line of the boom forward to where it normally comes out of the boom and there I installed a small cleat. The result was a more efficent outhaul and a horizontal pulling motion so the slugs slides easily. It took me longer to buy the blocks and figure out how to hook it up than it did to finally install it.

A friend of mine took it a step further. He installed a short track at the end of the boom and had Garhauer build a small car. That system works slicker than mine but involves more money and the clew of the sail has to be notched.

May 4, 2010
Catalina Catalina 30 Hingham
Don - Thanks for the directions I have succeeded! Turns out I was able to get my ends off quite easily as one of the previous owners had broken all the screws off. Working with a large screw driver (careful not to break the pulleys just in case) I pried the end caps off. To my surprise there were 2 triple blocks inside. They were catching on screws that had been put on the boom for the reefing lines. I took out the guts for the out haul and rigged them on the top of the boom as you suggested - it took no time. I couldn't get a couple of the screws out so I drilled new holes to secure the caps. I am going to use rivets as it will give a smooth surface to avoid snagging a sail and if I need to take them out it is easier to drill them out than a frozen screw.
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes trimming this summer. Best - Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.