C-250 swing keel lock down bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Mac Peek

Food for thought concerning the C-250 swing keel-why no lock down bolt as in other Catalina swing keels? My impression is that all other Cat swings have one. While I appreciate the constantly dry bilge and don't intend to sail mine in "blue water", people(me) winds, or waves may someday put her mast in the water :-o. What then of the "retracted swing keel" and its righting effect in such a predicament? By the way do any of the vets known how much the C-250 WB keel weights? Please dont get me wrong, I love my C-250 wb, but let's not let Catalina completely off the hook by assuming its a perfect design (the same designer also put a totally inadequate rudder on early models.) I'm just a rookie, and sometimes ask rookie questions, but as my experience and confidence grows I find myself more comfortable in rougher water and higher winds-albeit the concern for righting hull after a knock down. Because someday, Murphy's law will pay "Damage Control" a visit. Thanks for any feed back, Don Mac Peek Damage Control C-250 WB #72

Status
Not open for further replies.