C-22 Topside paint choice & necessary prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2006
Catalina 22 Ypsilanti, MI
Can I get advice here on what's the recommended color, products, and prep necessary for repainting my 77' c-22. I can roll and brush in my rented indoor storage space, but not spray paint. Also, I'm not rich so don't really want to spend $100 per galllon if I can get away with it,.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Interlux

Check out Interlux topsides, white/gray is being used in the south with good results.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Linear Polyurethane

Yip: I used a good white colored, 2-part linear polyurethane from West Marine on my runabout about 8 years ago. Its been in outdoor storage in Phoenix area since then and still looks about as good as when I did it, i.e. shiny "gelcoat"-appearing. Used those small foam rollers designed to handle urethane solvents, from Home Depot, plus very good paint brush to smoothe out a little and get to tight places. Paint was costly, but it was worth it based on the outcome. Re/prep- you have to get the surface clean and smoothe before any top coat. Otherwise, scratches don't fill (use a good epoxy like Watertite and fair well) and bumps magnify. And follow paint manufacture's directions. By the way, the topside hull finish on my 1975 C-22 was made presentable (from near yuk to pretty good) without repainting-- washed well plus one of those Teflon-polishes from West Marine, and repeated annualy last 10 years. RK

Nov 14, 2006
Hunter 27 Lake Lanier, GA
Pettit Marine Paint

I will be painting my topside in June with Pettit Easypoxy. Color 3705 "Mist Gray" I have heard that 6149 White Undercoater is a good match for faded gel C22 gel coat...I will find out. The PO had started painting my boat when I purchased her so she has a bit of that VW look to her...I hope to get her looking more finished this summer and also to add some non-skid to the decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.