Buying new from a dealer

R

Robert Carlton

I'm thinking of buying a new 28 (or possibly 30) Catalina. I've never bought a new sailboat from a dealer. Any tips regarding negotiating with a dealer.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
A few tips

- They may not admit this, but price is negotiable. It's especially negotiable on a new boat sitting at the dealer's dock. If it's been there more than a month, it may be even more negotiable. Special order boats may be somewhat less neogtiable. - Commissioning is the trickiest part oa buying a new boat and will have a HUGE impact on your satisfaction with boat over the first couple of years. I suggest you get a couple of references from people who have bough a new boat from this dealer and had them commission it. If you don't like what you hear about commissioning and warranty work, go to another dealer. The distance may be a hassle but that's nothing compared to the hassle of a poorly commissioned boat. Be fair with the dealer, too. You want him to make a fair profit, which can pay off for you after the sale. So be careful not to nickel and dime him. Other than that, enjoy! Buying a new boat is a thrilling experience!

M

Myrna from Washington

Tips/Buying a new boat

If you are ordering a new boat (not buying one in stock), as part of the agreement, put in the date of shipping. If we had to do it over again, we would have. Our boat has been delayed a month and we still can't get a firm date on when it will be shipped. Financing and insurance is waiting until we hear. We have lost the premium interest rate on our loan because of the delay. I think they need to put a realistic ship date in the signing documents or they can pay a penalty. As for dealers, it would be good to get references from former buyers. Talk to them. Find out how the dealer is as to response time and reliability. Good luck!! Myrna

E

Ernie A

Dealers can give better value on a trade.

Hi, Rob-- When buying a new boat from a dealer, you may get better trade-in value for your former boat. Then, too, a dealer who sells you a new boat always will be very willing to work out any problems that may arise -- often with the backing or help from the Catalina factory. If a serious problem should arise, I'd like to have a dealer between me and the builder. I've had an absolutely terrific experience with a Catalina Dealer (Coney's Marine, Huntington, LI, NY). Ernie April

B

Brad Elbein

Throwing away money on a new boat

I've seen several new Catalinas, and I never fail to fall in love with them. In fact, I once fell in love with a new Beneteau, a brand I dislike. However, having been married for a bunch of years (more years than I was in school, even), I've learned to let myself calm down into sober reflection before falling for that sleek, firm new hull. In my (never humble) opinion, it is the height of folly to purchase a new boat for most sailors. There are several reasons I feel this way. First, there a great many older boats that are just built better than the new ones. With an older boat you can do research and figure out how it's held up over time. Second, I can't bring myself to pay twice for a new boat what I'd pay for the same size used boat. I paid $25k for my used C30; I'd pay about $75 for it new. Sure, new has some advantages--warranty, some better layout ... but that isn't worth the freight, to me. Ultimately, no matter how good the layout is, it's still a 30 foot boat. The difference in space between a new, ergonomic Y2K 30 footer and an old 30 footer isn't going to be much. In addition to all that, in a used boat there is almost always "stuff," and with the boat market the way it is, there may be a whole lot of stuff. VHF radios, autopilots, extra battery banks ... all of that stuff that works fine for now and doesn't have to be bought new until it breaks or until I head around Cape Horn is all a huge savings to me. One final point on cost. For the cost of a new C30, you can buy a or 10 year old Morgan 41, Endeavor 37(?), or damn near anything else. And probably throw new sails in too. I know some people say that you get a trade in with a new boat, and that may be an advantage. However, obviously you pay for a trade in. Sometimes it's worth it. Most of the times it's not. As often as I've looked at new boats, I've always been convinced by my more sober-thinking friends to be satisfied with a used one. The thing is, I always have been. Brad Elbein C30 Nessie

D

Duane Maher

New is better than old.

Brad, You may be right about many points you made, but the new a Catalina is built better than a 10 year old Catalina. Upgraded plumbing, electrical and sail handing systems, not to mention the newer engineering design(even on the long running boats like the 30 and 34) fiberglass materials and lay-up schedules. Have you tried finding and pricing some of the late models designs, the ones with the 0s at the end of the number. They are difficult to find and are holding their value. Catalina has a split production line the older designs (30,34,36,42) and the new designs (320,380,400,310,470). We should thank Frank Butler for still improving and building the older designed boats. Unlike other builders who keeps changing their models every other year. That is why I have bought Catalinas. They believe in evolutionary, not revolutionary designs. Buying a new boat maybe the best way to get to the newer designed boats. Catalina has gone to second production lines and overtime to keep up with the demand. Some of their newer models are approaching a year backlog. (That could be a good reason to buy used). I do not think you can go wrong with buying a new or used Catalina. But thanks to the people who make new boats used. Duane Maher