Buying new 26x and need advice on options

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Art

I recently went to a Mac dealer and he handed me an option list for the 26X that was 2 pages long. What do I really need from the dealer know and what would you wait to put on. I want the furling system and a genoa. The genoa has no uv protection edge. Is that a concern??? I will be leaving my boat out and mast up. Is there someplace where I can buy a genoa for the mac with the uv strip? The seat cushions for the mac all seem to smell like mold after a season.. Any after market cushions that dry better and fit the mac cocpit? The stove...is after market the way to go. Should I get 2 batteries or one? Electronics on board or handheld?? Mast raising system?? and so on....HELP.. I am getting a little overwhelmed. Thank you in advance. Art

M

mike

what i did

i bought a mac 26x in 99----new. i went ith the mast raising sys. because i step the mast alone, usually. if u will have help all the time-----don't need it. i only use the cockpit cushions when i have company. wife and i don't use them otherwise. other owners--i found as well, don't use them. hassle snapping them down, just for day sailing. wkending-------i use them. i have one battery----will like to upgrade though-----to a 200 amp system. i have a hand held vhf. Most people told me it is not enough. Well, i went out and bought an external antenna and guess what? It increased the range to what i need. If u plan to venture more then 3mi from land------get a wall mount--more wattage. I mounted the antenna to the stern rail--din't have to run wires through insulated gunwales. And, if i want to upgrade the radio later i can because i have the antenna system in place for a more powerful radio. I get 5mi max with my Standard--hand held submersible. i got the stove. nice and flush to the counter, but i lost under the counter room. it looks cleaner though and if u plan to spend lots of wkends on her---getthe sotve installed.

K

Kevin Barry

Options

Hi Art, I bought a 2001 model and got quite a few options. With the genoa, you can opt for the strip or you might consider a cover. You can run the cover up in the yard with the jib halyard. The strip is easier, but the cover or sleeve is cheaper. Only takes a few minutes. I would recommend adding your own stove aftermarket, it's cheaper and easy to install if you have some basic DIY skill. (Saw, drill, etc.) The fiberglass cuts pretty easily. The larger portapotti is definately a good option. For any options, consider getting them in kit form and installing yourself if you can. You can save a bit of money if you don't mind doing the install. Some things are simple, others pretty difficult. (The boarding ladder is a beast to access from under the rear birth for example). Also, you might be able to get better quality items through other sources than the dealer. Shop around and compare. Look at West Marine for starters, or the Mac owners chanderly. I'd say roller furling, mast raising system, second battery, larger head, large gas tanks, battery switch, mainsail slides, and the 50 HP engine are good places to start. You'll still find about a zillion things to add on later (with the Mac or any boat). Happy sailing. Kevin

L

Linda

My two cents

Hi; We just bought a 2001 26X last month and added just about everything. The genoa and the roller furler was something we were on the fence about but now that we have the boat, and we are new sailors, it's a no brainer...get them definately. We love the stove. More no brainers are the boom vang, potty, a compass (depending on where you plan on sailing), two batteries with a switch and a depth, speed, temp, fish finder on the bulkhead is a must have too ...(now we're thinking of switching to one with a GPS. The cushions were an afterthought for us and I'm glad, because I later found that you can get better ones at the chandlery without having snaps installed. But they sure are cozy. The mast raising is good for new sailors and people doing it solo. Two gas tanks are great. Like I said, we got all of it and are dissatisfied with none of it. No matter how much you get, you'll find more stuff to buy later as well, but I think that goes for all boats. Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.