Buying an O'Day 23 soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Wegmet

I'm in the process of purchasing an O'Day 23, but I have some questions some of you more knowledgeable folks may be able to answer: 1. The hull number is 26470. Does this mean the boat was built in 1970? If so, how could it be a 23 if they weren't built until 1971? Also, what does the class number mean (it's 185). 2. Also in the market for a mainsail to fit this boat. Does anybody have correct dimensions? 3. Lastly, where could I find more information on this particular model/class/year? Would welcome any thoughts or comments from current owners of this classic. Thanks, Jason

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Your 23

Jason - Where did you find the number you take to be the HIN? It is not the format hull id's are usually found in. Look to the outside of the transom on the stb side and see if there is a different number there. May not be, but if so we might be able to figure out better numbers for you. Incidentally, are you sure its a 23? Wouldn't be the first time a seller didn't know what he had! Check in with Bacon and Associates in Anapolis for the sail info. They're likely to have what you need. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

E

Eric

O'Day 23 Manual

If your boat does indeed turn out to be a 23, I have the original manual (I bought it for $5 from a shop in Conencticut). I will be happy to photo-copy it for you and send it. I am working on getting a scanner - once I have one, I will post it here on the site.

J

Jason Wegmet

Thanks for the info on the 23

Thanks for your replies: It is a 23 for sure (the original nameplate is still on the pop-up trunk cabin) and the hull number is on a steel plate inside the transom next to the tiller. Would welcome a photocopy of the 23 manual whenever available! jason

P

Paul Rondina

Buying an ODay 23 Soon

I purchased a 1981 Oday 23 last summer (1999), after owning a Columbia 23. The Oday is a beautiful and sweet boat. I love it. Be aware, though, that this boat is really designed for protected waters, lakes, bays, etc. I have tried mine in RI Sound and found that in ocean waves it will get knocked about. It is a centerboard boat after all and for blue waters really needs a bigger keel. Otherwise, I love this boat and will stick with it for many years, unless I decide to move out of the trailerable range. See my comments in the owners sections.

W

Will White

Buying O'D 23 soon - orig model?

Jason - Sounds to me as if you have the same pre-1971 O'Day 23 model I have, which is quite different than the later better-known model designed by John Deknatel of the G. Raymond Hunt office. I had a PY-23, almost exactly the same as the newer model O'Day, from the same designer. Does yours have a rig to raise the whole trunk cabin? Does the mast step through the cabin top, on the sole? If yes, then it's the earlier model. I just bought a main, jenny and jib from Bacon's that work great - a C&C-24 main and J-24 jibs. -- omegacubed@att.net

T

Tracey Sanders

Mainsail for an O'day 23

I have a spare mainsail for an O'day 23 P=24, and E=9. It is in excellent condition having seen very little use over the years. I will sell it for $250 OBO. Call me anytime at 786-514-5667. Tracey Sanders "Angelica" 1978 O'day 23

Status
Not open for further replies.