buying a kittiwake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I am looking for anyone who has owned, owns, or has experience with a kittiwake sailboat... a friend pointed me onto this really great deal.... I am buying a kittiwake sailboat.... very few of these boats were ever made, so I am trying to find someone who can give me information on them...

I did find out they were produced in Kentucky for about 5 years... I know carl alberg designed them... I know they are full keel boats like the cape dory... I am looking for information on sailing characturistics for this boat...

thanks

sincerely
Jess

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
The guy that runs our marina has a 24', don't know the year but I've been out on it and it is a solid boat. It handled some stiff wind and chop really well. Sorry I can't be more specific about it's true nature but I was extremely impressed with its character. It appears to be a very quick boat as we covered some ground in a short period of time. Best part is it came with a trailer and can go anywhere.

Steve

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I believe that the Southcoast 23 has the same hull as the Kittiwake. My brother had a Southcoast 23 and I have sailed with him. I'll ask him to post some information. I didn't think that it was a particularly fast boat with a PHRF rating at about 270. Considering the waterline length it was respectable for the times. There were two characteristics that stick in my head. Finding an outboard motor that would fit in the well and not hit the rudder was a challenge. He must have tried at least 3 motors before he found one that fit. There was a lot of weather helm because of the design of the attached rudder. Unlike most modern day rudders which are a balanced spade design, the rudders on these boats are not balanced and by design will have a heavy feel to the helm. I love the classic lines of these Alberg designed boat. Very easy on the eyes! Check out information on the old Southcoast 23's too. (Not the newer ones which are a completely different design)

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks for the replies... I made a deal with the owner of the kittiwake 24 sailboat.... I pick it up next week while I am on vacation... it does have those wine glass lines carl alberg is famous for.... here are some pictures of the boat...

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I got the kittiwake 24... I pick it up next week while I am on vacation... I am excited about it...

while doing some research on the boat, I found some pictures of a subtender/rescue ship of the US Navy (USS Kittiwake)... it was decomishioned and then sunk in the caymens to be part of a dive park...

I was telling my friend about it, and he suggested, later sometime I should take my boat and sail to the caymens and go see the dive park... he laughed when he said it... then commented that a kittiwake visiting the kittiwake... he got a good laugh out of it, but I thought it is a good idea...

sincerely
Jess

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Congrats Jess!
Very cool traditional boat and dont worry about that rudder design, it's been around a lot longer than fiberglass anf works well.
Unlike many, that is a boat that can be balanced.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thank you for all the information about the kittiwake sailboat... I found out it is hull #214, originally built by the Kenner Boat Company... it is larger than the south coast 23 with a different layout inside... this kittiwake sailboat is the only model of sailboat ever produced by the Kenner Boat Company after the split from the south coast boat company... the Kenner Boat Company only produced 268 of this model of sailboat... then it was taken over by the Ray Greene Sailboat Company, who only produced 60 .... then it was bought out by the River City Sailcraft company, who only produced 69 of them...

I know I will enjoy sailing my new sailboat... I am not looking to race her in all the races... I am more into sailing her for the pleasure of it, and spending time out on the water with my wife... as my son puts is, I have a camper on the water, and front row seats to fishing or swimming anytime I want it... my favorite things are camping, sailing, fishing, swimming... and I can do all with this kittiwake sailboat...

sincerely
Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.