Buying a Capri 22

Mar 31, 2014
hi,

New to board. Searched for this topic, but did not find a thread. I am looking to buy a Capri 22 and was wondering if there are common issues with the Capri that I should watch for when buying. I don't really have a preference regarding year, but I don't really want a fixer. I have found several Capri 22's on the West Coast, unfortunately none in the Seattle area. I appreciate any advice and tips on buying. I am looking forward to buying within the next few months. Thanks

Dave

Jul 3, 2013
Hello Dave - Welcome to the board.

There are a lot of folks here with a lot of collective Capri 22 history and knowledge. Hopefully one of those "knowledge-able" types who have been Capri 22 owners longer than I have will have some info to share.

There are two models of Capri 22's out there: the current MKII and the earlier MKI. Although very similar, there are some differences.
Also, within each MK-series there are standard or tall rigs (more sail area), and a couple of styles of keels (fin or winged). Some model combinations of rig and keel work best for certain situations.

In the mean time, a couple of questions come to mind: are you looking for a trailerable boat, or one that will live on a mooring or be housed in a wet slip? For one that is to be "wet stored", do you require a trailer for off-season storage or not?

Good luck in finding your next boat - some say the hunt is almost as good as the owning!

Mar 31, 2014
I looking to moor the boat in front of my house (we live on Puget Sound in WA) for the summer (June-Sept) then park in a storage unit for the winter, therefore it needs to be trailerable for sure. I don't really have a preference re keel. I would like to have the ability to use a spinnaker, but don't necessarily need the tall rig. thanks for the input.

Dave

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Generally speaking the wing keel is "more trailerable" but fin of course would generally be a better sailing boat (marginally)... just slightly harder to launch.

Common problems?
It's funny, I honestly never really noticed anything "common" that isn't also prevalent in boats this age.

* Gel coat cracks.
* Gudgeons sometimes leak
* scuppers break down and leak sometimes.
* the mast tabernacle sometimes requires re-setting, and if it's been "loose" for a while then you might have a soft deck there.
* stanchions bend easily, and usually need rebedding on the older boats.

All in all these are just age related problems, that are easily addressed. There are differences in "packages" which might be of MORE interest to you. Example the race package, includes extra sail tweaks that might be of interest to everyone. Extra winches, split backstay, vang, etc.

There is wing keel, fin keel, tall rig, standard rig, and race package, and no race package, and Mark I, and Mark II models.

Great boat, that is pretty easy to assess visually. Obviously a trailer requires attention to bunks, tires, lights, brakes, and rust.

If you have a specific boat in mind you can link to it and we might be able to help you look more thoroughly.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Interesting;

I sold my Capri wing keel to a yacht club which has other Capri 22's which they rent out to members. Some fin and some wing. I asked the buyer which boat the member preferred --- he surprised me when he said the wing versions. Boats May be rigged differently.

Finally, nice weather in NY today. plus, I retired last Friday ! Notice, I retired just before sailing season starts.

Hershey

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
djowens said:
I looking to moor the boat in front of my house (we live on Puget Sound in WA) for the summer (June-Sept) then park in a storage unit for the winter, therefore it needs to be trailerable for sure. I don't really have a preference re keel. I would like to have the ability to use a spinnaker, but don't necessarily need the tall rig. thanks for the input.

Dave
Park in a storage unit ... better check the height of the door to the unit. A fin keel Capri 22 on a trailer might not fit under the doorway.

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
My fin keel 25 is about 11' 2" on the trailer... supposedly 12' door to my pole barn is more like 11'8" It looks like it won't fit backing it in! So I agree with Hersh... some doors not gonna work.

If one prefers the wing, it's probably because of thin water.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
My height, with the fin keel tall rig (FKTR) Capri 22 Mk II, is right about 11 feet on the trailer with the mast in travel position. Need to actually measure it one of these days.

Dave, I probably won't have Verboten in the water for another month, or 6 weeks, but if you feel like a road trip to the Eugene, Oregon area this summer I'd be happy to take you out once she's in the lake.

Mar 31, 2014
Appreciate all the replies. Sounds like nothing specific to this make and model, but more generally to aging fiberglass hulls. I think we are okay with door height. I am strongly considering a 2000 wing keel with race package out of San Francisco. The owner wants $10,500. Prices I have seen run the gamut form 5000 to 17,000 depending upon year etc. New fully equipped look close $30,000. I have to arrange transport from SF or drive down myself which may be difficult. Thanks again.

Dave

May 23, 2007
How soon are you looking to buy? I've got a friend in Kamloops BC who's looking to upgrade to a 25 footer. He's got an 87 (i think) wing keel that's in good shape for it's age. He doesn't hang out here but I can point him this way if you're both interested.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
3 years ago I had a quote complete with 8hp Honda Motor, boat, wing keel, standard rig, race package, with 135 furler, and main, with trailer... for $24,695 (plus tax and tags).

Prices are likely a bit higher now, but thought I'd share. I forget now the website name, but there is a dealer in FL that advertises new prices (retail) for most of the smaller Catalina Sailboats, Precision, and Com-pac yachts.

I can't comment on the "value/price" of a particular boat. The market is really dramatically effected by location, and demand, and some crazy folks (like myself) will drive 1000 miles to get the right boat.

Aug 27, 2013
Dave, I have had 2 Capri 22's. My first was an 88' MK I wing keel with a std rig. Good boat. I got into racing in a mixed PHRF fleet and it had some serious short comings. Crabbed like a bitch upwind.

My second boat is a 05' MK II fin keel with a tall rig. Terrific boat in just about every respect. Outstanding PHRF racer that sails easily to it's numbers (US PHRF 204) and can/will beat theoretically faster boats when sailed well.

Because you are in Puget Sound, keel depth may not be as much an issue but I know you get 9' tidal variations but if you time it right launching and recovery on a fin keel will be fine if you have a steep ramp to use. I was able to pull my boat out of Lake Grapevine on a steep ramp using my trailers' tongue extension and this lake level is 10' below normal.

I personally would not have another wing keel on any boat. Some folks swear by them but I just don't like them. I'd rather have a bulb than a wing on a shoal draft keel but you won't get one on a CP22 unless it's been modified, and I haven't seen that done yet.

That being said a Mk I vs Mk II fin keel boat difference is negligible. The Mk II is actually 6" wider across the deck at the stern than a Mk I but performance wise, I'm not sure there is a difference. A performance difference then would be in the rig. A std rig has a 5/8's fractional 28' mast vs a 30' mast 7/8's rig on a tall. Where this plays in is in light air but when the wind comes up, the playing field starts to level out again. Then again, sails will always be less expensive for a std rig than a tall.

As far as issues between the two versions I think most of those have been covered. The tabernacle bedding is an issue on both boats but especially so on Mk I's because they are slotted. You can get a new tabernacle from Catalina Direct that is not slotted and I would recommend replacement of this component on either version if it is. The slot can allow the mast to rotate on it's base and it will break the seal and twist the mast to the point of pucker factor plus 1 in a blow. Been there, had the pucker!

Another thing on the Mk I was the location of the switch panel which I really did not like; down low on the left cabin bunk. Mk II's are up high above the right bunk and that was a very good change.

This is going to sound like a sales pitch because I am selling my boat but look at mine on http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/41847

As a matter in fact, check out as many as you can and compare all versions. Of course condition is paramount and you will see right away if a boat has been cared for or not. http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99capri22.html has many boats on their website both past and present for sale to give you a better idea of models and prices. They keep everything archived there. Great site.

Good luck. You have come to the right boat. I love mine and if Catalina would have built this boat in a 27, I'd have a boat for life.

Chris

May 23, 2007
Chris, have you seen the new Catalina 275 sport? It looks like a big Capri 22. Unfortunately it's out of my price range.

Aug 27, 2013
Yes I have seen the 275 Sport. Looks like a nice boat. That huge cockpit is the bomb! No tangible performance figures on it yet but I am guessing the PHRF rating will be in the high 180's maybe, which would not be ground breaking. A pretty heavy boat for it's sail area. SA/Disp on the CP22 TR is 24.16 :D vs 18.41 :cry: on the 275 which puts it in cruiser class. Not nearly good enough to me to go to the bank for the loan. If Catalina would have let Gary Mull design the CP26 they may have had something and then so would I.

Catalina continues to miss the mark in performance but it's obvious that's not what they are aiming at.

Chris 2

May 23, 2007
Ok, then, the alternative is the Left Coast Dart then. If you've got the bux. :)

Aug 27, 2013
Wow! Never heard of it but googled it and holy hand grenades that's a cool boat. But... Yes, it's too rich for my blood. Sigh... That'd be a tough sell to the war department though. I been pushin' college to my kids when there's plenty of good trade schools to consider. Hafta get back to you on that.

Chris 2

Jun 5, 2014
Hi,
I am interested in purchasing a Capri 22. Where can I get more details on the differences between a MKI and a MKII? In what year was the change in design made? Has Catalina recently released a new version?

Thanks,

Tim

May 23, 2007
Hi Tim,

Catalina changed to the Mark 2 some time in 2000. There's a good thread that discusses the differences between the two designs: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=150&p=1129&hilit=mk1+vs+mk2#p1129

IIRC there were some minor changes to the Mk1 over the years as well. Thinks like the cut in the transom going away, etc.

Hope this helps.

Chris