buying a 26X with 50hp motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis Park

I am considering buying a 26X w/50HP. What kinds of conditions has anyone experienced in this boat. Wind and wave conditions etc. Both under power sail. Thanks Dennis

K

Kevin Barry

26X

Hi, I've had the 26x in some pretty varied conditions both under power and sail. The 50 hp seems able to handle the boat very well. The sail plan is a little overpowered for the mac (especially with the 150 genny), but roller furling and reefing make it easy to choose the right amount of sail. I've powered across Naragansett bay off Rhode Island in 4-5 foot seas with no problem, and off the NH coast in 6-7 swells. The boat sails pretty well and powers nicely. As the promo says, it's not the fastest power boat or the best sailboat, but it's capable of both, and that's the beauty of the mac. I've had people approach me every day I'm out to ask about the boat. It's fun and seems pretty solid. Good luck. Kevin

L

Linda

www.Macgregor26X.com

We just bought a new 26X and we are brand new sailors, sailing in light summer lake winds. You may want to check out the www.macgregor26X.com website. There's a thread there where people are having a lot of fun racing and beating Catalinas and Hunters of the same size. From what I'm reading, the Macgregor seems to really hold it 's own as a sailboat although there's been some press from more traditional sailors to the contrary. As a cruising sailboat, we couldn't be more pleased. As new sailors, we love the 50hp. If there's a storm in the distance, we're gone. Linda

J

johann drewett

50 hp

The 50 hp is the only engine that makes sense around Seattle. There is usually some pretty good chop in Puget Sound even on some calm days. The 50 hp gets me around quite well when working . I do not recommend buying a Nissan( or it's replacemnt company) motor however. My boat came with one in 1999 and i have had nothing but problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.