Buy an '87, 22' Catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron

I am considering to purchase an '87, 22' Catalina but I am not sure about a few things. The swing keel appeared to be slightly rusty and the pin that holds it while it is retracted has broke. Is this okay? Does a new swing keel cost alot. I did not see the sails and rigging. If they are no good do they cost alot. Can one person handle this boat (maintenance, piloting)by themselves. I would like to get into sailing but being that I will be doing everything alone, I dont want to get in over my head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Can you handle it?

I'm not an expert on how much a new swing keel costs but the sails can cost a pretty penny. You can buy used which should be sufficient for your needs as a new sailor. I definitely wouldn't invest too much just starting out. That way, if you find you can't handle it, you're not in too deep. What I would do as far as the sails are concerned, is if they're in ok shape (no holes, tears, etc), use 'em for awhile. Chances are they're in good shape. C22s are frequently bought by new sailors to learn on. If you can get her, including trailer, at a decent price, go for it. Another option to consider, though, especially if you're not 100% sure about it & are concerned about making such an investment, start hanging out at marinas & hop rides with other boats. Join a sailing club, volunteer as crew for the local racing fleets, etc. There are many ways to sail for free (or the cost of a six-pack!). Good luck! LaDonna

M

Michael Birch

Rusty OK

Don't know about this model year but the early 22 swing keels are cast iron and will rust. They are soloid cast iron though so it will take a lifetime for one to rust through. Clean the rust and paint it yearly and you will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.