Buy a barehull C&C 30??

Feb 14, 2015
CC 30 Canada
I have a chance to buy a never used C&C 30 hull, with rudder but no keel (where do I get one??). The hull has NEVER been used or built up, no engine, factory fresh has been stored for decades, bought in the early 1980s. a version 2 I think. Is $2100 too much? (No mast/engine/keel either, but has uninstalled deck hardware, tanks etc).
What would it cost to finished equipping and building this approximately, and is it worth it?
Sailorboy

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have a chance to buy a never used C&C 30 hull, with rudder but no keel (where do I get one??). The hull has NEVER been used or built up, no engine, factory fresh has been stored for decades, bought in the early 1980s. a version 2 I think. Is $2100 too much? (No mast/engine/keel either, but has uninstalled deck hardware, tanks etc).
What would it cost to finished equipping and building this approximately, and is it worth it?
Sailorboy
you will do better buying one that is ready to use...just keep looking they are out there

Feb 14, 2015
CC 30 Canada
how about buying the bare hull, then finding a trashed beaten up used hull, same design, and pulling what I need off of it? Can the keel etc be reused on a different boat of the same design?
Sailboy

This is a never completed hull and deck with rudder, sold off the in '80s. Work done over the years. Gelcoat is coated with high-tech Siloxane (needs more coats).

Hardware includes: pulpits, lifelines, 6 winches, cleats, organizers. In-builds include 50gal water tank, soil tank, WC, 10 drawers, shelves, forward berth, f-berth settee.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is there a deck? Is it attached to the hull yet? What's your budget? Have you seen a psychiatrist?

Why do you think the hull has been sitting around for 30 years?

go to www.cncphotoalbum.com and read the review of the 30....

Fixing up an old boat is one thing... but building one from scratch is quite another.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why don't you try contacting a yacht builder and get his opinion... he could give you hard numbers and an estimate for finishing the project.

BTW what kind of winches? if they're large ST types that's about 2 grand right there. If they are old 2 speed Barlow or Barient standard models... they still have value.

What about the interior... is there any wood work, plumbing and wiring in place?

Feb 14, 2015
CC 30 Canada

Don't know about what type of winches yet.. have emailed a C&C equipment supplier to check on some cost. I haven't seen an interior yet, so don't know those details. Will find out.
SailorB

Why don't you try contacting a yacht builder and get his opinion... he could give you hard numbers and an estimate for finishing the project.

BTW what kind of winches? if they're large ST types that's about 2 grand right there. If they are old 2 speed Barlow or Barient standard models... they still have value.

What about the interior... is there any wood work, plumbing and wiring in place?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Buy a bare hull C&C 30

Sailorboy, If that C&C 30 was built in the early 1980's, it's the mark 1 version. Most likely, Mars Keels in Canada made the original keel and may still have the mould but I doubt it as that keel design is very outdated. If you happen to find a used keel for a C&C 30, you would still have to align and bore the keel bolt holes in the hull. That in itself is a big undertaking. $2100 is a great price if you need a hull, deck and some hardware. Not so great if you are trying to make a complete boat. The total cost of your project will easily exceed double the cost of a used (complete) boat without taking into consideration your time. I love projects but this one just doesn't make economic sense. You'd be better off refitting a used boat and you can still sail it while you do the updates. I would say that your project is NOT a worthwhile project based solely on economics. If you are looking for a really nicely maintained and equipted (complete) C&C, my 29 mark 2 is for sale. Contact me off list for details.:D

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
The sailboatdata.com site has interesting changes regarding the C&C 30 (and others) boats. Without engine & transmission, mast & boom, plus any/many miscellaneous parts you are approaching the point where you need the services of a naval architect and a complete manufacturing facility and its workforce. :confused: As has been suggested to other people who were considering "projects" of that magnitude: Run Away, Don't Walk! :eek: Your time involved would be worth many dollars. I do not know your skill level (and I don't mean to offend you), but, would you buy a boat that had been built almost entirely by an individual with your skills?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The C&C 30 was outdated when it came out. It's way beyond that today. Building one up now would be a fool's errand.

You really want a C&C 30? Go buy a used one. A new keel and motor for that hull will cost more than you'll spend buying used.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
There were quite a few companies selling boat kits in the 70's and 80's. Didn't know C&C was one of them. Their ads made finishing them look easy, but it wasn't. Most waste never completed. Trying to complete one now with the parts not available would be next to impossible.