Butyl Tape for C-310 Chainplates?

Oct 4, 2013
Catalina 310 - Hull#31 S/V "Harmony" Moss Landing, CA
I believe I read somewhere that Butyl tape can not be used to rebed the chainplates on the C-310. Is that true? If so why? So far I don't see a reason why not.

Has anyone here used Butyl to rebed the chainplates on their 310?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Butyl Tape is the way

I used Maine Sail's butyl tape on my chain plates and it works like a champ. What else could you use that would be more waterproof and flexible? :D

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I prefer polysulfide. More permanent than butyl tape but stays flexible so it can be removed easier than 5200. Also better adherence than butyl or silicone. BTW, everyone it seems has their own opinion on this and there does not seem to be a universal answer. You will get arguments for and against everything! Just rebedded mine with polysulfide.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I prefer polysulfide. More permanent than butyl tape but stays flexible so it can be removed easier than 5200. Also better adherence than butyl or silicone. BTW, everyone it seems has their own opinion on this and there does not seem to be a universal answer. You will get arguments for and against everything! Just rebedded mine with polysulfide.
The only problem is that the best marine polysulfide, 3M 101, was taken off the market. All we are left with is Boat Life Life Calk... I never liked it as much as 3M 101.

I can't recall what I used on my 310 chain plates but can confirm they were leaking by YEAR 1 of ownership (less than 11 months from taking delivery we had chain plate leaks). The factory used a polyurethane...

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
If one uses the butyl tape as described in maines directions it will do the best job one can ever get

Regards

Woody

Oct 4, 2013
Catalina 310 - Hull#31 S/V "Harmony" Moss Landing, CA
Awesome. Butyl Tape it is. Thanks for the help all!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Maine Sail is being modest

On his site is some of the best butyl tape going. Has worked great on my chainplates for 2 years and running.