Busy, Busy

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I headed out from Chesapeake City bound for Worton Creek but rain persuaded me to pull in under the bluffs of the Sassafras River for the night. I headed over the next day to meet up with forumite Trasel to see the Endeavour 32 he bought after crewing for me the year before last from Chesapeake City to Port Washington, NY.

Crossing the bay, I got a text which raised the distinct possibility of being called away from the boat for a while. I was still trying to digest the implications and probabilities while we looked over the two boats side by side and gradually realized that I needed to get to my free slip in Solomons ASAP. Even though I could have stayed at Trasel’s marina, I would need to be south on my return from any absence. So I regretfully headed on down to the Magothy River. I felt badly about rushing off because Trasel had laid in a nice stock of beer and food for my arrival.

First, however, we had a chance to go over things with the two boats tied up side by side. He accompanied me out in his boat when I left and we ran side by side comparing RPM readings and speed by radio. The upshot is that he is now comfortable running his boat at about twice the horsepower he was using. His engine will thank him and he has already thanked me.

The Magothy was, “Welcome to the Chesapeake”. I’d forgotten this feature of the place. A brisk and un-forecasted wind came up just after I fell asleep and the boat pitched and pounded under the stern due to the tide that I had to get up and read for an hour. It gradually calmed but I remember now how often this happens in this part of the world. You want an anchorage with protection from every direction, regardless of what the forecasts are. I was glad to be there though because of a subsequent email raising the stakes on the possibility of needing to leave the boat for a while and it put Solomon’s within a day’s run without turning it into a marathon.

The next day was a long and relatively easy motorsailing run to Solomons with the jib out and the autopilot steering. I topped off the fuel tanks and set up in the berth where I expect to be until after the schooner race except perhaps for some daysails with friends here at the lab.

This is my berth, a great place, available only to those with special connection such as designing the Rachel Carson seen behind. I have unlimited WiFi, laundry, power, and water. I didn’t even have to walk up the dock to take this picture, I just logged into the lab’s webcam, aimed the camera, and took a screen shot.

Today, I got a long overdue haircut, changed the equally long overdue oil in the transmission (horrible job, pumping oil into a jug upside down headfirst looking over my head), cleaned hair out of the bilge sump pump impeller, checked engine zincs (good for a while yet), cleaned and checked around the engine compartment, discovered a cracked case on one of the emergency bilge pumps, and bought enough fresh produce at the farmer’s market that I’ll be able to resist the lure of the restaurants for a bit.

Tomorrow, I’ll participate in a show and tell on the “Carson” that they are delighted to have the designer at. Saturday, I’ll go on a day trip aboard her.

Oh yes, I got an email today that told me that the situation I was worried about has resolved. But, I’m glad to be here aside from not getting to drink those beers Trasel stocked for my visit.

I expect to be here until after the schooner race which you can be sure will be a good story in itself.

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Sounds Great!

Roger ... sorry to hear about Trasel's beer ... otherwise sounds like you're sitting pretty! I'm jealous!