Busted for trying to sneak into Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I would add that only occasionally do US immigration officers rise to the level of courtesy of our experience with Canadian immigration officers. And I have a couple of personal stories of downright mean, militaristic treatment from US immigration.
I've had the opposite experience.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I think we all know that border control officers are entrusted with the front line responsibility to enforce whatever their countries current law and to some extent “policy’s” are. Often they are left to their own devices to “interpret” those laws and policies. They have a certain amount of discretion in the outcome of issues they encounter and let’s not forget they are armed for a reason.

Challenging - dangerous job where they are often stereotyped as not being “friendly” or “courteous”.

It is my understanding that a tactic commonly employed to “catch” offenders is to rattle them a bit to see how they react so some of the negative impression could stem from that.

I do know that acting aggressively towards any law enforcement officer tends to not go well.

The OP was about what appears to be informed people who blatantly disregarded a joint Canadian/USA restricted border closure due to efforts to control a global pandemic. Pretty hard to believe they didn’t know what they were doing!

It would seem to me that they could have hired a local if they didn’t already have someone in place to “inspect” their property and provide a report so the reason for their trip sounds kinda BS in the first place.

Are the consequences of their actions severe, perhaps but there is saying that seems applicable in this case - “you reap what you sow”.

Border agents discretion so to speak.

This could just as easily have been Canadians trying to enter the USA “illegally”. I wouldn’t have much compassion for whatever “punishment” they were dealt either.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There was a thread last week on CF, with the OP literally complaining that he'd heard on his VHF radio the Canadian authorities "harassing" a US boater heading north supposedly "through" BC going to Alaska, by simply suggesting he take down his US flag, for his own good. I thought it was good advice. The OP went on and on about freedom, and later said the skipper of the boat was a retired Admiral and how dare (!) those pesky Canadians tell him to take down his flag. More free-dumb.

Reality is the Canadians were trying to protect the skipper, 'cuz US boats are simply NOT supposed to be here UNLESS they have been granted permission to travel to Alaska. We do understand that Alaska is part of the USA and there are recreational as well as commercial folks who should be allowed to transit.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Just learned the rest of the story: The were told they now have a lifetime prohibition on entering Canada.

I would add that only occasionally do US immigration officers rise to the level of courtesy of our experience with Canadian immigration officers. And I have a couple of personal stories of downright mean, militaristic treatment from US immigration.

The original post was to show that our neighbors are serious. I assume we match that approach. And neither immigration operation has much to do other than catch violators at this point. No pleasant day trips to Pelee Island to say hi to the Yankees at Scudders, for instance.
Wow, as much as I agree the law is the law, I really think a lifetime is harsh.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Lifetime ban is way too harsh, considering ,hundreds a day were crossing the border as illegals from NY into Quebec ( 50,000 in the last 2 years)and now living in Canada with full healthcare , financial support and a roof over their heads paid apartments, waiting for their court cases.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Lifetime ban is way too harsh, considering ,hundreds a day were crossing the border as illegals from NY into Quebec ( 50,000 in the last 2 years)and now living in Canada with full healthcare , financial support and a roof over their heads paid apartments, waiting for their court cases.
I don’t think the people involved in this instance were seeking asylum so not sure it’s a fair comparison you are making.

Apparently these people are affluent enough to own property in a very exclusive neighbourhood and had a boat capable of crossing Lake Erie, doesn’t sound like the people your referring to who look like they have everything they own in a suitcase.

They actually could have been subjected to this in addition to the penalties for not clearing customs properly.

New Order Makes Self-Isolation Mandatory for Individuals Entering Canada - Canada.ca

We also don’t know anything about how they acted towards the border control agents, maybe they actually got off with a “lighter” penalty.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
We heard this from friends who have a summer home on Lake Erie at Point Abino, Ontario. Three of their friends wanted to check on their summerhouses at Point Abino. They sailed together across Lake Erie for a quick visit and check. When they tied up at they dock, they were met by Canadian immigration, and arrested. They were then fined $10,000 each for their illegal entry.

Sounds like testing COVID 19 immigration restrictions is not a good idea!
Do you have a link to a news article as I can‘t seem to find any online reference to this Incident?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
What I am not clear about, is that if you have a home, you are not allowed to go home? In otherwords, I'm curious how it was established that they crossed a boarder, as opposed to Americans who have a USA registered boat and happen to live in Canada.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Lifetime ban is way too harsh,
Our only concern is to prevent COVID-19 from entering Canada. Come to Canada seeking asylum, and we'll do our best to accommodate as you have so aptly detailed.

now living in Canada with full healthcare , financial support and a roof over their heads paid apartments, waiting for their court cases.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
No news story, because there were no reporters there! Might have been in a local report of immigration actions, but probably not. I think they knew what they were doing, and thought they could get away with it. My bet is that the Canadians had them on radar for most of their trip. Wouldn’t take many on the spot inquiries to figure out what they were doing. I thought the $10,000 was fair enough for three scofflaw, but was surprised at the lifetime ban. Those guys and their families probably spend a lot of money there through a summer, and for winter maintenance.

Brian, our friends, who told us what happened, also have a summer home there. They are stand up people - no urban legend here.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
This sounding more and more like urban legend. I mean $10,000 and banned from ever entering Canada?
@Brian D, doesn't provide evidence for this case but check in Jasper and Banff for RCMP penalties for unlawful presence in Canada. Indicative that we don't want any imported COVID-19. We in B.C. are already experiencing a slow but relentless increase in infections over the last two weeks and are preparing for incremental shut-downs.

No mercy, no discrimination, and no empathy from this disease.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I grew up in Buffalo and sailed out of Buffalo and the Canoe Club. Haven't been back since 911 but I crossed the Peace Bridge hundreds of times since we belonged to the Cherry Hill golf club. You could always tell when there was some kind of pissing contest going on by how fast you went through customs on either end. The Canadians were always the most courteous compared to our customs agents. When I was college age, we would rent cottages and the Canadians overlooked our transgressions when we forgot we had beer in the car. Obviously, there are much greater concerns when crossing boarders these days with justification. I think willfully ignoring another countries regulations/laws is pure arrogance. Hopefully this story will be well known as a warning to others thinking they are special.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
This thread is getting political, non-boat related, and could get ugly before it gets shut down. I recommend folks cease and desist.

Status
Not open for further replies.