Burning engine bulkheads

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Pulled bulkhead to work on damper plate discovered heat from riser
getting to bulkhead even though heat shield on eng side of bulkhead.
Vibration from riser scraped away protection. Know Catalina factory
has heat shield to go in cutout of bulkhead but am having trouble getting
it from them. Someone on this list made their own. Have gone through
every topic and can't find it. Would whoever made it be kind enough
to again post info, size, etc? Would be appreciated. Thank you.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
You will find following under “Search” option "Re: Bulkhead Burning " . Could not paste link. Simple fix and had no problems since.

"09-26-2010, 04:30 am #4 (permalink)
Albanach
Catalina 310
Sydney-Pittwater [/I][/B]
I had the same problem and asked Catalina to rectify it as it is an obvious design/installation fault.
They responded by sending me a ready made insulation panel. I only had to cut out the appropriate section in the bulkhead, so that it could be screwed in from the rear cabin.
Have had no concerns since in this respect since. My longest continuous motoring time has been about 1 hour.
Suggest you contact Warren Pandy, warren@catalinayachts.com , he was very helpful.
RE some further background, see

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=109676&#post638584 and[/COLOR]

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks for prompt reply. Beautiful job not only modification but entire engine and surrounding areas. How do you slide panel in and out to gain access to engine from aft berth? Neat installation. Clyde Thorington C310 # 245 ILEAN TOO San Jose, CA
Thanks

Yes I can remove the back panel piece to access the heat exchanger bolts, hose and transmission dip stick. It sticks out about 4 inches into that back berth. No wrap on my exhaust elbow. No issues since. We are in the process of motoring a 6 hour day due to no wind and I just checked the bulkhead with my IR thermometer, it read 84 degrees f. Have motored as long as 10 hours with no issues. Man I hate those no wind days like today. Only reading 5.8 kts right now.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Jesse....

Where are you at? Did you make it past NJ yet?

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
JK

Did you have to alter the aft cushion or just kind of scrunch it in around the extra hatch part?

Russ
S/V Long Story

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK

Did you have to alter the aft cushion or just kind of scrunch it in around the extra hatch part?

Russ
S/V Long Story
When we were using the cushion, it just scrunched around the bump out. But we have actually ditch the cushions for an inflatable mattress. A queen 4" thick mattress fits perfect but takes up much less space when not in use.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK

Russ
S/V Long Story
I wish. another 15 months before we leave. We have gotten ride of everything that didn't fit on the boat for the most part. We are very close to being 100% debt free. We are in serious building the kitty mode. Our planned departure should be around mid October 2015. So we should be in your area around November.

Until then its work, work on the boat to get her ready and occasional going out for a sail.

Jesse