Bumpers on H41AC Swim Ladder Rails?

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
In the process of repairing the fold-down transom seat (broken out screws) I noticed that there are screws on the top of the swim ladder rails (see photo). I'm wondering if those screws originally held in place a rubber or plastic bump stop. It seems when I step on it when it is folded down that it gives slightly until it bears on those rails.

Any thoughts on what those screws should be holding?
SwimLadder.jpg

Sep 22, 2021
Thanks for the photo. I think I'll make them from UHMW - less expensive and enjoyable to fabricate.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I think I'll make them from UHMW - less expensive and enjoyable to fabricate.
The ideal material. Make sure they are the solid white UV resistant UHMW PE as opposed to the milky white PE which is not UV resistant. Made a few small fittings for around and boat back in the earl 2000's and several years later, a chalky surface. I don't think they had UV resistant PE back in the early 2000's. Replaced them all when I learned of UV resistant PE and many years later they still look like new.

• Helpful
Sep 22, 2021
I made the bumpers from UHMW as I had mentioned - a simple drawing is attached. I actually made the two pieces at one time (with the center of the arc as the center of the part) and then separated them with a thin slitting saw. The screws that attach them to the rails are 10-24x3/4 flat head machine screws.

With these installed, when the transom seat is in the down position resting on the bumpers, it does not move when I step on it as it did before.

SwimLadderRailBumperDwg.jpg

SwimLadderRailBumper.jpg

Sep 22, 2021
SBO sells them
That is true. However, I have the equipment, I like making things and I had some suitable material on hand. It took less than an hour to make them and I saved the money (probably close to $50 for the pair with shipping) and I didn't have to wait for them to arrive.

I do buy things from the SBO store but I'd rather make what I can if it is cost effective.