Building a hard dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Passrider

Has anyone built a hard dodger for their C-30? I'm interested in what materials and processes were used in the construction. I think this might be a fun winter project. Thank you, Tom Wilson

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
Thinking like me!!

I have seriously been thinking about building one too, as my dodger is on its last legs. I have thought about just fiberglassing right onto the canvas dodger. Then cut it apart (maybe 3pc. just like dodger) and reinforce it along the edges and where needed, to incorperate connector brackets to put it back together with gasket seals etc. and install regular windows, or new vinyl with some sort of more sealed attachment than zippers. I am hoping to do the intracoastal from Lake Mich. to Fla. in 5-7 years and will need to remove it to haul mast on the rails unless it's hauled on ahead. Also I need to remove it for winter storage in my building. But the fact is the design is already there except for some mods like making it 3-4 inches taller with a "spoiler" to lift the wind above me. Then I want to put on grab handles and all that good stuff. Let me know what your thinking. Dean Bachelor www.blowinganddrifting@yahoo.com

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Interesting thought

I am surprised that more people aren't going to hard dodgers and biminis. I only take mine down for winter storage and you are lucky to get 5 years of use out of it. If it was hard it would last longer. The expense is the only bad thing that I can think of.

D

Derek Vernest

Hard Dodger

ahoy mates.. We have just moved from a catlina 25 to a catalina 30 that has no dodger. I have a friend who has been using very thin plywood for kayak construction and is very flexible. I am thinking of something like that covered with cloth/epoxy or cloth/fibreglass.I was thinking of covering the open bow side of this with plexiglass that way one could see through for better visibility. so the design would be super simple ..one would have to use a jig in order to bend the plywood to the appropriate half pipe then figure out how to attach the plexiglass which one could get cut at any auto window repair shop. derek

D

Derek Vernest

Hard Dodger

ahoy mates.. We have just moved from a catlina 25 to a catalina 30 that has no dodger. I have a friend who has been using very thin plywood for kayak construction and is very flexible. I am thinking of something like that covered with cloth/epoxy or cloth/fibreglass.I was thinking of covering the open bow side of this with plexiglass that way one could see through for better visibility. so the design would be super simple ..one would have to use a jig in order to bend the plywood to the appropriate half pipe then figure out how to attach the plexiglass which one could get cut at any auto window repair shop. derek

D

Derek Vernest

Hard Dodger

D

Derek Vernest

Hard Dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.