Bug Screen for Pop Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt

I was eaten alive by no see-ums last Sunday when taking down the mast and packing up to leave the boat ramp. I haven't yet overnighted on my C-22 but am concerned I will suffer the same experience if I do. Anyone have plans/recommendations for a good bug screen for the companionway and hatch for the C-22 with Pop Top? Thanks!

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
screens

I went to a local sports store bought a camping screen then ripped 2 pieces of 1X2 redwood to fit the hatch rails when the screen is in place the rails fit tight and no more bugs. It was a hurry project thats worked so well I haven't changed it. You can buy screens right here in the Chandlery for the campionway and forward hatch if I'm not mistaken.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Modify the poptop cover

We have a C22 with a poptop and it came with a heavy plastic cover. We had a local sailmaker take out the plastic windows on the cover and replace them with screens. She also cut out the section that covered the companionway hatch and replaced that section with screen too (with a zipper in the middle). It is wonderful! We bought a front hatch screen from the Chandlery here and with it up and the modified poptop cover we get no bugs and a good breeze through the boat.

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Bug Screens

Matt: I always get eaten alive too. I figure that the bugs just like Italian food. Anyhow, I put velcro around the front hatch, (on the underside looking up). (Put the part of the velcro without the hooks here). Then I took a screen and sewed nylon strips, about 2 inches wide, around it and then sewed velcro onto the nylon to correspond to the velcro frame around the front hatch. This screen goes up and pulls off of the velcro easily and quickly. I used a screen cloth that was for "no see ums", but I can usually see the mosquitoes that are biting me. I actually want to make another one with bigger holes to try to get a little better airflow through the front hatch. For the main hatchway, I have a strip of velcro on the inside of the top sliding hatch. Then I use the snaps that are on the outside of the wood to snap a screen over the main hatchway, 3 snaps on each side. I pulled a strip of foam into the nylon trim strips to get a better seal between the nylon "frame" and the wood that frames the hatchway. The screen for the pop-top is still under development, or what Ken called a hurry project. We just bought a sleeping bag screen and throw it over the pop top and clothespin it in place. The plan is to sew a nylon cloth trim frame for this too, and put a piece of flexible fat rope into it to weigh it down to seal against the cabin top. I will probably put a slit in it so that it goes around the mast a little better too, if I ever get around to it. It works fine the way that it is, but it could look neater, and be quicker to set-up, if the nylon and rope trim was installed. One good thing about all these screens is that they don't take up much space or weigh anything. We use them most of the time, and we sleep on our boat every weekend all summer. I recommend that you at least buy some screen before you go on your first overnight adventure. You can always just place it over the hatches and hold it in place with extra docklines and clothespins. Aldo

Jun 4, 2004
- - Jackson, MS
Tent Screen

I purchased two camping nets. I use the larger tent size net to cover the pop top and most of the cockpit. I purchased it at an army surplus store for $20.00 It is tied to the boom. A smaller, cot-size net I use over the forward hatch. The cot-size it still too large, but for $9.99 at Academy Sports, it fit the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.