Bruce/Claw Anchor Weight Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2006
Hunter 36 Seattle
We are looking to move to a claw/Bruce anchor for our 1979 Catalina (our Danforth does no sit well in some of the locations we anchor), and wanted a recommendations and thoughts on 16.5 versus 27 pounds.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Bruce 33 lb. is what I used

on my Catalina 30. Your options are a 22 lb. or a 33 lb.. The 22 lb is marginal at best and I would not feel comfortable in any wind over 12 knots with a 22 lb. on a C-30. I use a Spade & a Manson Supreme now..

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
West Marine catalogs

have recommendations in chart form for all sorts of anchors.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
Bruce

Hi Island Passage; If you are going to do any serious overnight anchoring, go with the 33lb. I have a 33# Bruce with 50' of 1/4" HT chain with 250' of 1/2" 3 strand rode on our 96 Catalina 30. We anchor all over Nothern Lake Michigan, in all kinds of weather and we have never dragged. After 5 years with this set up, I sleep like a baby! Fair winds Dave

Jun 3, 2004
- - Guilford, CT
whoa! You guys are scaring me....

I just bought a 14 lb. Delta Fast-set for my 30 with 20' of 5/16 chain. According to the literature it good for Sailboats to 31'. lol... I quess my first couple of overnights may not be so restful....

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
Anchor sizing

Hi Richard; I would not get to scared, but I would be careful. Watch the weather and you should be fine. Remember that normally anchor recomendations are based on max winds of 30 knots. Here in the Great Lakes, we will get a thunderstorm or two that will produce winds of 50 to 60 knots for a short time. While that is so infrequent that it does not make sense to size your ground tackle for those wind speeds, I do believe in going up one size from what is recommended. I do believe that the exception to the max winds of 30 knots as the basis for recommendations is the Bruce. Peter Bruce used 40 knots as the basis for his recommendation. His theory is that at 3:00AM in the middle of a thunderstorm, you can't run down to West Marine and buy a bigger anchor;-))) Fair winds Dave

J

John

bigger is better

I have a C30' 1988 TR and have been on the hook over 300 days and nights in the past 6 years . Ive used a CQR look alike 35lb and its never failed me. But the hinge on the CQR can keep the anchor tip dug in on its side and give you the feel of a good set but not dig in. The anchor has to be moved around the anchor locker hatch becouse its very long.The bruce claw fits on the deck nice but i did not like some of the write ups i read about it so i went with a delta quick set 33lb it fits on the boat better then the CQR ,it can be set on less scope then the CQR and its rated for a much larger boat.Last fall i spent two longggggggg nights in october being blown around. One night i had to set a second anchor at 3.00AM in the snow, sleet, rain, with water comeing over the deck we had 45kt wind and 65kt gusts all night My 2nd anchor is a Fx23 and it just fits in the well with 3/4" trimed off the side bar . 3rd anchor is aFx11 for a rear anchor. my delta has 250'5/8" nylon with 40' of 5/16 chain the fx23 has 200' of1/2" nylon and 28' of chain FX11 has 150'nylon and 12' of 5'16 chain.I think that the bruce 33lb would hold a C30 ok but i felt that the delta was a bit better and i had $235 dollers burning a hole in my pocket. John

A

AXEL

I 2nd the Delta Fastset

I have the Bruce/Claw as well as a Danforth and DeltaFast set. I took the Danforth off the boat (dragged to many times to count). The Claw gave me problems too. The only thing the Fastet gave me was a good nights sleep. I highly recommend that anchor. I been anchored in many blows, short scoped, all kinds of bottms and the anchor consistently holds.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Bruce anchor out of production?

Ran across this info. BTW- I use a Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.