Broken Rudder

jdearl

Aug 16, 2023
Hunter 170 Atlantique
I have a Hunter 170, believe it is a 1999 or 2000. Out sailing the other day and the rudder blade broke, at the top where the pivot pin goes through the rudder head. Photos attached.
So I need to get a new rudder blade. I guess I could try to repair but will save that as a last resort. Not having any luck finding just the original style blade. Did check in the parts store on this site.
Any suggestions on where to purchase new, used, someone parting out a boat, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Have been following this site for many years but just now registered. This is my first post so hoping I did the picture upload and everything correctly.
Jeff

Rudder top.jpg
Rudder top.jpg
Rudder top.jpg
Rudder.jpg

jdearl

Aug 16, 2023
Hunter 170 Atlantique
Thanks for sending that link. The price is higher than I would like to spend so maybe will keep searching for a used option.

jdearl

Aug 16, 2023
Hunter 170 Atlantique
Tried to post in the Gear Wanted section but have to be registered for 90 days before I can do that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I’ve only had experience with rudder craft. Very excellent company

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@JPB-PA
Can you give a description or details how you repaired your rudder would greatly be appreciated? Many thanks

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I cut it back to where there was no damage as shown in the pictures. I made a "foam" core out of microballons/epoxy. I just made a rough oversize mold with cardboard and then shaved it back to my desired dimensions. I wanted the skin thicker than the original for extra strength. I ground back the remaining good skin to get at least a 12:1 bonding area, again I went a little higher than 12:1. Then I laid up glass. Mostly 1708 (in hindsight I would have used 1700 or 1200 without the CSM layer). Some woven cloth to help shape the corners. I got to my final shape with a template from the original plus testing with the rudder head, plus by eye. Then fairing and paint. I used off the shelf paint from Total Boat which is why the color doesn't quite match, but it easily passes the 10 foot rule.

• Helpful
Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Or you could make one yourself with simple hand tools...get a nice piece of 4/4 teak, mahogany, or cherry from local lumber supply. trace out the old rudder on the work piece with pencil. cut out with jig saw. use the rudder bracket to mark your holes and drill. Use router with round over bit to round the edges....and finally coat with 5 coats of spar varnish. Not only will it be cheaper, you'll have pride of making yourself, and nice wood rudder will at serious old school bling to your boat:cool:

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Or you could make one yourself with simple hand tools...get a nice piece of 4/4 teak, mahogany, or cherry from local lumber supply. trace out the old rudder on the work piece with pencil. cut out with jig saw. use the rudder bracket to mark your holes and drill. Use router with round over bit to round the edges....and finally coat with 5 coats of spar varnish. Not only will it be cheaper, you'll have pride of making yourself, and nice wood rudder will at serious old school bling to your boat:cool:
I like the look of that (in my mind's eye). A possible problem might be the difference in buoyancy. If a lighter rudder makes it more difficult to lower it fully (i.e. when it has kicked up and you are trying to pull it back into place when you are underway), that could be problematic. I would add that if the OP does craft their own that they try to replicate the "airfoil" shape of the stock rudder. When I went to an airfoil rudder for my MacGregor 26S I realized how much better that design is than a simple blade - better pointing at all speeds and and less stalling at low speeds.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If the setup is like it shows in the photo in post #11, it would be easy to bolt uprights on both sides of the broken rudder, cut to match the original shape. With a hole drilled through them and a new pin for the tiller to pivot on, it would be better (stronger!)than new. You could use aluminum or Stainless steel sheets, a strong wooden board, or perhaps even Starboard.