Broken Motor Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2005
Catalina 30 MKIII Mantoloking Shores NJ
We have a 1995 Catalina 30 MKIII. While cleaning the engine the other day I found a broken "L" bracket leading for the front port side of my m25xp to the motor mount. After searching the internet ( love the IPAD), i found a match at Torrensen Marine for $50.00. They didnt have it in stock, but directed me to Hansen Marine (Primary supplier for most). Hansen said the part was $200!!!
Scott at Hansen confirmed with Westebeke, and that was the price. So, i reached out to a local machine shop in town that welded a broken stantion for me in the past. They made 2 "L" brackets, one for each side, as well as the mounting bases for the actual mounts, all out of 1/4# Stainless Steel, all for $115.00. I have attached pics of the broken mount and the new ones. The new mounts are Vetus K75. But, all did not go quite as planned.......found a leak in the exhaust riser. Took that baby off...now i need to get one made. Gonna go see my fabricator tomorrow. I was wondering, has anyone used a muffler shop to build a new riser? if not, why?
PS I couldnt get pics loaded for some reason...when o get better pics you can see the really nice new mounts
Thanks in advance

Hal

Attachments

Jan 6, 2010
Hal,

Am I correct in assuming you are referring to the exhaust tee? If so, I had a local fab shop make me two last year. My bronze tee failed after almost 30 years. The cost was cheap & I now have a spare too.

My replacement exhaust is now all threaded galvanized fittings. I made it stainless some years ago, but that ate away at the exhaust carbon steel flange on the motor due to galvanic corrosion. I don't know what material exhaust you are using, but I thought it was time to change mine after my mixing tee failed. The new mixing tee is stainless, which goes nicely with galvanized.

Here's a site with info on using dissimilar metals:
http://www.galvanizeit.org/designing-fabricating/design-considerations/dissimilar-metals-in-contact/

Metal doesn't know what is marine or land based, the important thing is the quality of the material & workmanship.........

CR

Oct 16, 2005
Exhaust riser

Captnron...I found the leak in the threaded section leading from the Flange exiting off the exhaust manifold. I figured it was time to change the entire unit as i figured the unit ws probbly original. As I separated the water hose, that piece of steel broke off. So...it is currently at the fabricators....gonna see what he can do. The issue, or the apparent costly part is to get the pipe bent. So hopefully I can gt it done in s/s. do you think I will run into a galvanic issue then?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Catalina Direct makes prefab exhaust risers for most Catalinas. They're ss, but the newer ones require you to buy the insulation separately, a real rip off if I ever heard of one. Nonsense and too expensive. I got a preinsulated one from Catalina Yachts a handful of years ago. You could also make up your own.

I also have blow by at the exhaust manifold flange at the back of the engine. My solution to that is to use muffler patch paste on that joint.

Oct 16, 2005
Stu
CD is expensive, and I would guess time consuming as the season fast approaches.
Hopefully I will be good to go before Memorial Day. We have had a host of issues this year. Dented prop, bent shaft, motor mounts and riser....plus we upgraded out traveller gear through Garhauer. Whew.....

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Hal,
First you'll love the K75 mounts. I just did four on my boat and was blown away by how much smoother she is.

I see you're in Mantoloking. Dave at Silver Cloud Marina on Forked River has the riser. It's a custom Catalina part (as you know) and he keeps them in stock. You'll also need a specific oddball gasket which they also stock. Not sure what the price is.

You'll also want to pick up a "hump hose" to take the stress off the inlet on the water lift muffler. You'll have to cut it to size when you install it. You boat should take this one.

Best of luck,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.