Broken Mast Step

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Knapp

I'm looking for comments on the experience I had yesterday with my 1998 340 while I am waiting for my dealer to call me back. After executing what I thought was the perfect jibe in 13 knots of breeze we settled in for a nice run at about 120 degrees. After about five minutes my boom vang suddenly let loose with a bang and flailed around hanging from the boom. I quickly turned upwind and lowered sail getting things under control. While motoring back to the dock I was able to inspect things and found that the vang let loose from the cast aluminum mast step, taking a chunk of the step with it. I believe the vang was secured to a stainless bail that attached to two holes in the step. Anyway both holes are ripped through on the step. I also found that the turning block at the mast step for the mainsheet had also pulled off of the step. I know my boat is four years old, but I have not been "practicing" uncontrolled jibes. I didn't think that the mast step should give away like that. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Did you replace the step? Was Hunter helpful?

A

Andrew Hansom

Broken fitting

When our 340 was new in 98 we broke the same piece. The dealer gave us a new mast fitting about twice the size of the original. We had to hammer back the pulled out section of mast were the pop rivets came out. the new piece also had eight rivets instead of the four on the piece that failed. Andy Hansom Vanishin point

Status
Not open for further replies.