Broken Autopilot Wheel Drive

Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 34 Alamitos Bay
I have a Raymarine ST4000 autopilot and the wheel drive unit when out. Is the Raymarine ST4000MK2 Wheel Drive compatable and will it work with the ST4000??

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What happened to your system? Was it the motor? Is there no signal to the unit? Did the belt fail?

The wheel part is the tool that follows the signals.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The black markI and gray markII wheeldrives are interchangeable, electrically. There is a small difference in the diameter that can require you to use an alternate mounting position. Normal is with motor on Starboard lower quarter, some Catalinas with the pedestal mounted engine instrument pod interferes with the gray mk2 motor. Alternate position is with WD motor upper port quarter or sometimes a third position must be created for clearance. I'm using the older black mk1 drive because of this physical fitment problem, and I've got 2 that I've rebuilt.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 34 Alamitos Bay
The black markI and gray markII wheeldrives are interchangeable, electrically. There is a small difference in the diameter that can require you to use an alternate mounting position. Normal is with motor on Starboard lower quarter, some Catalinas with the pedestal mounted engine instrument pod interferes with the gray mk2 motor. Alternate position is with WD motor upper port quarter or sometimes a third position must be created for clearance. I'm using the older black mk1 drive because of this physical fitment problem, and I've got 2 that I've rebuilt.

Feb 8, 2021
Catalina 34 Alamitos Bay
What happened to your system? Was it the motor? Is there no signal to the unit? Did the belt fail?

The wheel part is the tool that follows the signals.
The motor seemed fine, the belt did fail. I purchased another belt and it never worked properly. Seemed to slip alot. Is there anywhere I can purchase a rebuilt one?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Might have been wrong belt, I've just been keeping them repaired myself. The belts are not interchangeable, I've gotten replacement belt from Polybelt in New Jersey. Search for D169, that's the belt number.
http://www.polybelt.com/

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I did a rebuild of my old RayMarine ST4000 (the black one) over the winter...mostly the motor and some electrical connection...

But the belt and rollers should be easy to clean and replace as needed...

Greg