Brand new sailer here

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry

Hi All, I just bought a 73 venture or newport 23'. I am very new to sailing and am starving for info. Anything I can get my hands on. I had a couple freinds who sail and own pretty nice boats look at this 23 before I bought it. Anyone who can toss me some ideas as to what to look for before I drop it in the water would be great, as more eyes see more things I think. I need to know what type of equiptment I should buy, what type of charts I should get, things I shouldn't waste my money on, and anything else that you think may help me. I've met alot of good people and they have told me alot of good things. I would like to keep that going. Anyway,, anything helps, and thanx, Terry

J

John Dawson

archive accessories

There was a long thread in the archives about how much stuff to bring aboard for comfort, entertainment, and safety. Might give you a feel for how many opinions there are. I would say get the basic equipment, do some sailing, and add stuff slowly as you see fit. Some want uncluttered, and some want the most possible.

R

R.W.Landau

Terry,

Just some tools and required stuff ( including what you like to eat and drink) Save your money. Sail your boat. When and if you find something wrong ....upgrade it, repair it or if it is not a structural defect, ignore it. You will get a feel of what you want onboard. Unless it is replacement parts, if it spends a year on board with out being used, you probably won't us it. Spend next winter upgrading the things that you felt were not right, an emptying your boat of all the things you thought you needed. r.w.landau

D

Dave M

Good advice here

Terry: I would pay attention to the advice to get safety equipment, and what you like to eat and drink, and get out there. If you find yourself wanting something, go for it. Someone elses list of necessities probably won't be very meaningful for you, unless you happen to: 1) have the exact same size, age, tastes, likes, family, and 2) use your boat in the exact same way, same water, same time of year, day, and day of the week. 2 examples. I sail midweek, on a small lake. Most people with my boat have a mast head fixed mount vhf. For me it is worthless - absolutely no response, unless the guys at the marina happens to be working on someones radio. A cell phone is a far more important safety item - ON OUR LAKE, AT THE TIME OF WEEK I SAIL (sorry, felt the need to shout). Example 2, my wife and I just sold a 26 ft boat, that we felt was very well equipped. We had spent many nights, and taken extended trips to the florida panhandle where we were onboard for 10 straight days. The couple we sold it to have to date spent over $4,000 on stuff they felt they needed, for the kind of sailing they will do. I am kind of a minimalist, but I am sure they felt they needed that stuff for enjoyment, safety, function,... I just never did. Figure it out yourself; that way you'll have what suits you, and nothing unecessary.

J

Joe Ford

Invest in a good general sailing book....

.... like my favorite, the "Annapolis Book of Seamanship" by John Rousmaniere. This like a bible, it will answer so many of your questions and make you a bettor sailor. Isn't that what we all want?

Status
Not open for further replies.