bow sprit

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chaos

Hi everyone. How about some discussion on bow sprits? Pros and cons and benefits. I run an asymetrical(ginnaker); I can see a bow sprit getting the chute out front more, but mainly giving me the ability to tighten the luff, and have better control of the luff. this would allow a tighter reach, yes? I also think it would keep the main from enterfereing with the chute as much. With certain conditions, wind direction, etc, I find more speed pulling IN the main on a reach with the chute. Would appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks to everyone on the main sail education. Chaos

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
If you're flying an akite, there is no question that a bow sprit will give you definite advantages. The major gains will however not be on a reach. The sprit will be of the greatest asset sailing deeper. Tacked at the bow an akite will easily become blanketed by the main when the breeze goes aft. The sprit allows that angle to be much deeper. If you watch a J Boat with a sprit you will see that they can't quite sail as deep as a symmetrical spinnaker but the added speed they gain by sailing slightly higher is often well worth the price. Luff control on the akite is strictly a result of an adjustable tack line. This can and should be done whether or not you have a bow sprit. I have added a retractable sprit pole to my boat and the gains have been extraordinary.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
adding a perminate one

I've been mulling over adding a 2 or 3 foot bow sprit on my boat and running the forestay to it...love the idea of being able to add a larger jib on my factional rig. 22 sail area displacement isn't enough :) Never can have too much sail :) I know...it's a major change that would throw off the balance of the boat. That's why I'm just mulling it over. AND even if I don't do it for the additional sail...I might add a sprit without miving the stay because that's my favorite seat on the boat and it would be cool to have one infront of the sail.

C

Chaos

length?

Alan, How long do you think a Hunter 26.5 bow sprit should be? I would imagine about 4.0 feet. Would a sprit also allow one to run a larger asymmetrical chute? Franklin, I hope you are strapping in!! Thanks, Chaos

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Chaos

The "J" on your boat is 9'5". A 4'6" sprit would be perfect. Do you know if you want it to be retractable or fixed?

C

Chaos

retractable

Alan, I would have it retractagle. What is the penalty on class designation, racing rules, etc.? Again, with a sprit, could I fly a larger asyemmetrical? Say, added 4 feet on the foot? Now we are starting to make this thing look like a drifter genoa. Might be interesting. Thanks, Chaos

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Chaos

The penalty will be up to your local PHRF committee. I would guess somewhere around 9 seconds. Yes, of course you can fly a much bigger asym with this setup. That's the whole idea. The larger it is the bigger the penalty but the faster you go. If I were you I would try both sizes on the sprit before you apply for your certificate. You will be breaking new ground so no one can tell you your best option. It is pretty much a try it and see approach. The Hunter 26.5 has the potential to be a really fast boat that can sail well past its rating. Make sure you strip every bit of weight off the boat that isn't an absolute must. Here's a rule of thumb: divide everything on-board into two piles. Things you need and things you don't. Of the 'things you need' pile take away 50% and keep the rest. On the average 26 footer that should save you at least 500bs which will translate into faster tacks and better pointing. Move that bow anchor to the cabin sole at the base of the mast. Empty your water and waste tanks. Clean the bottom thoroughly no later than the day before any race.

Rich L

Mar 9, 2004
Hunter 26 Kentucky
Pictures please

Anybody got pics of their bow sprits on a 26, 260, or 26.5? This and the set-up for an akite are my winter projects this year on my 26. Jeff Peltier's pics in the project forum are very interesting. Any comments on his set-up?

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Rich L

There is a rotating sleeve mounted to the anchor roller/stem plate under the bow seat that the sprit slides through. In the extended position, there is a spinnaker pole chock mounted just behind the cover to the anchor locker. I have calculated the sprit tip SWL at 2500lbs. The block that is mounted at the end of the sprit that carries the tack line is rated at 1200lbs. This was done to make that block the weakest point of failure. If the worst happened and the block failed. there would be no other resulting damage. Of course, a smaller sprit would have a smaller SWL but it would also be shorter. My sprit extends 5.5' beyond the headstay. It is the same extension as on a J105 (34').

Rich L

Mar 9, 2004
Hunter 26 Kentucky
Nice sprit set-up

That looks pretty nice, Alan. So where did you get the rotating sleeve? I might be able to use something like that on my H26 bow pulpit... I've seen a bunch of your posts in the archives related to a-kites, so obviously you've been doing this for a while. Do you have an opinion on the articulating sprit that Jeff Peltier illustrates in the project forum (see link)?

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Rich L

The entire project is home made. I bought some stock aluminum plate and a length of 4" schedule 80 aluminum pipe. The wall thickness is about a 1/4" which is plenty strong for this job. The inboard end of the pole and the rear mounting chocks are standard boat stuff I found on Ebay. I designed the forward mounting collar so that it would rotate for stowing the pole without having to remove it. I would have liked to make the pole articulating but it became much more complicated. The 5.5' extension is more than adequate and I found that I really didn't need the articulation. The approach that Jeff takes is fine, but has limits to the extension length. The Articulation helps to make up for that. His design uses stainless steel tubing in place of aluminum. I have recently seen a sprit pole kit that is almost like mine that a marine products manufacturer is selling. As I recall it is about $900 for the large version like mine.

Rich L

Mar 9, 2004
Hunter 26 Kentucky
Thanks, Alan

All good info. This thread has gone on long enough. Guess it's time to stop writing and start designing something. Appreciate everyone's time and thought. Rich L

Status
Not open for further replies.