Bow Pulpit Seat

Dec 22, 2013
Hunter 36 Lake Erie
Been wanting a bow pulpit seat for some time now. Finally found one that allows access to the anchor locker also and is sturdy enough to stand on. Just need to install the forward looking latches in the that were included and I am good to go!

Attachments

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
I was so inspired by this seat that I ended up making my own with a little different approach and a bit bigger. My local exotic lumber supplier only had rough-sawn 1" teak; however 3/4" or even 1/2" may work as well. I made it from a 1" x 5" x 6'-6" board. I used two 5" strips and one 2-1/2" strip to make the seat and used the remainder to make the pair of stiffeners and teak hinges. It swings up to clear the anchor locker and is held down mostly by its weight but I also made a 1/4" bungee line retained with a 1/4" stainless washer that wraps around the rail and hooks into a small Harken eyestrap on the bottom. The whole thing is prevented from sliding back by a 1" PVC two piece collar that retains the seat with a slot routed into the bottom. You could also make this from solid Seaboard high density plastic for a little less cost. It is very sturdy.

We really enjoy it.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
20180824_164509.jpg
20180824_164515.jpg

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
You guys inspired a winter project. $140 in Seateak lumber (7/8”), teak oil, and Seachoice spring clamps. Less than $200, and only tools used were a jigsaw and a drill.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
You guys inspired a winter project. $140 in Seateak lumber (7/8”), teak oil, and Seachoice spring clamps. Less than $200, and only tools used were a jigsaw and a drill.
Did a similar project awhile ago for our stern rail seats. These have worked very well over the years and have held up well. My articles about the project here. Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Last edited: