Bottom Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralph McGraw

I just purchased my H23. Needs bottom paint. Previous owner said the VC17 was used. What procedure should I use to repaint? I started wiping off old material with the "General Thinner" but it still leaves rough areas. Should I sand the surface and then prep with a primer. I don't know if a correct application was put on from the start. Any ideas are welcomed to turn this novice into a better sailor.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

VC17

Ralph - VC17 is great for its intended use, but is not compatible with other paints. This means that you will need to get it off entirely if you want to paint it with another paint. If you question the application, you should probably get it all off anyway and start over to protect your boat from borers. My favorite way of cleaing bottoms is with one of the stripping systems that use sheets of plastic. Much less environmental impact and way less work, both good things in my book. There is a test of such products in th current practical sailor. Peel Away won the comparo. After you get the paint off, I would look at the bottom to see if it has been barrier coated. If not, I would do it. Hopefully this is the last time you will see the bare bottom of you boat. Might as well do it right. Then fair it, sand it, and roll on new paint. I would use a good ablative from pettit or interlux. Much less work in the future. Luck - Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Status
Not open for further replies.