Bottom Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hooper

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on bottom painting. What type of sander, etc. I am bottom painting my boat for the first time and I am not sure exactly the steps and tools to use (rotary sander, palm sander, etc.). Thank You.

S

stormjib

Bottom Sanding

Just traded in my 1986 Catalina 30 for a 2000 Catalina 400, but for 14 years I did the bottom. I tried palm sanders, orbital sanders, and pole sanders. Found the best way for me was to wet sand by hand for a smooth finish. The other tools were dusty and if you weren't careful could gouge the hull. After wet sanding I would use interlux CSC Bottom Paint, thinned with manufacturers recommended thinner and put two thin coats of paint on.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Depends on your purpose

If you'll be racing, you'll want as smooth a finish as possible & stormjib's suggestion of wet sanding might be the best option. BUT...if you're just hanging out having fun, and even close to being the wimp that I am, using a good rotary sander should work fine. Now, I'll admit, the bottom on Salacia is far from being as smooth as can be but I SCREAM past other boats all the time so it can't really affect your speed too much. One other important thing to note: If you don't know what kind of bottom paint is on there now, you'll have to completely remove the old stuff before applying new. Some paints don't react well together & the new stuff will flake off in no time. You can remove it by sanding (the hard, cheap way) or by stripping (not as hard, but more expensive). A good stripper like Jasco (you can get it at Home Depot & the like) will work well but it's pretty toxic. If you're sanding, most yards require it to be the kind that a vacuum can attach to so it won't harm the environment (this is nasty stuff, remember). Either way, the entire procedure, from stripping to painting, you'll need some good protective gear, like jumpsuits, respirators, goggles, gloves & boots. There are a number of good books on maintenance that you can probably check out from your library to read up on it more. Good luck - it's the worst job in the world! LaDonna

B

Bob Camarena

Check the Archives

Check out the 12/7/99 post and responses in the Ask an Owner archives for a discourse on sanders. Also, check around with local owners and your boatyard for suggestions on what type of paint to use. What works best in one locality isn't necessarily the best in another. Some people enjoy doing bottom work (I guess) but for me, it's worth paying the yard to do it while I spend my time on the more diverse tasks for which the boatyards charge high hourly rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.