Bottom Paint???

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
I think there was, at one time a thread regarding paint but I can't find it. So the question is what bottom paint to use? I sail the eastern end of lake Erie and don't race. I do not intend to strip the hull to the gel coat but will scrape off all loose paint and power wash the hell out of what's left. All I am looking for is something to keep the crud and growth off the bottom for a year or two.

I used a paint from purchased from West Marine for the last two paintings and it worked nicely but, there's always a but. I thought I had the old can in the basement as a reference. Not a chance. So keeping it simple, what ablative paint works well in freshwater? As always thanks for the info and abuse.

Cheers,
Curt

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I've been pretty happy with vc17m. i get about 3 coats from 2 quarts. i've got a different color base coat so i can tell when its time to refresh

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
I like the idea of a different color for the base coat! I bought a 2006 Capri 22 at the end of last season, with VC17 paint. I noticed that the Keel had a few blisters on it when I launched it. After 3 weeks of sailing, I had to haul it out due to the end of the season. I then pressure washed the bottom and a lot of paint on the keel blew off, the hull is good. I plan on putting an epoxy paint on the Keel this year so the VC17 will stick better.

Jul 3, 2013
I have some thoughts, but keep in mind my sailing area (Southern Chesapeake Bay / Tidewater VA) is different from yours. And, like real estate, the first rule of bottom paints is location, location, location.

My choice for the warm salt water here is Interlux Micron Extra - works great for several seasons, and can withstand hauling / drying.

My thoughts that are applicable in your situation -

Determine what other happy boaters IN YOUR AREA are using with success. If a product comes up a number of times, it may well be a candidate for you.

If you hear some unsuccessful stories, take note, but do not automatically discard using that product. The disgruntled user may have had a special case not applicable to your case. However, if a product comes up numerous times, I would look elsewhere.

Like others above, I like the idea of using a different color on the base coat. I have always done this, and it is a handy way to tell how fast / slow the covering coats are wearing away. This is assuming that you are using paint that does wear away. For many years, I used the non-ablative hard epoxy type bottom paint where the biocide would leech out to provide protection, but the "paint" itself would not wear away. Every few years you had to completely scrap the "old" paint off and start over. The new ablative paints are much nicer to live with.

Although I have used other brands over the years, I have come to prefer Interlux paints. Whether you use Interlux or not, their Website has a nice painting guide (for bottom paint and topsides) that you can download: http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/media ... guide.aspx

Dfox

Mar 17, 2014
I'm in north Alabama and have used CSC micron and vc offshore. The offshore worked very well and has lasted for many years.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I have been very happy spending the extra money for Interlux Micron Extra Antifouling Paint. I got two seasons of use with just a touchup at spots between the two years. This Spring I will add a single extra coat mostly to catch all of the thinner areas.

This ablative paint does not get on me like a less expensive brand did. That itself was worth the extra cost.

I did scrape and sand the original paint off to get to the gelcoat. It was a pain, but well worth the final result. Although I do "race", racing is just practice for my real sailing!

Defender has their warehouse sale this weekend. Excellent prices AND Interlux has a rebate. Should make it much more appealing.