bottom paint

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
What environment will the boat be in? Salt, brackesh (sp?)

Often it is best to check with the locals, the boats that have been around awhile - they will know what works the best in that area

Jul 2, 2013
Don't know what's best use, but I would stay away from the ablative paint for the rudder itself. I used it and every time I touch it on the swim ladder, I get red hand prints over everything. Fortunately it washes off pretty easy.

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Very good point Matt

there are good Silicone paints that just need to be squeegeed every so often, I am told. That might be another option.

Jul 3, 2013
Kunzig said:
Often it is best to check with the locals, the boats that have been around awhile - they will know what works the best in that area......
Here's another vote for seeing what other folks in your area / water conditions are using. Here in the Lower Chesapeake Bay with warm / hot water temps and plenty of sunshine, I like to use Interlux Micron Extra. If I lived and sailed in Maine, I would have a completey different choice.

The other boaters in your area will have decided what works in your area. You will probably not get a consensus on a particular choice. You will get several opinions / options. Then pick one of the locally recommended paints, based on what you want to pay, how often you haul, paint color availability, et cetera.

Over the years, many boaters pick a particular brand for whatever reason that seems valid to them. Myself, although I have also used paints from Woolsey, and Pettit, I have decided that I like using Interlux paints the best. Nothing really wrong with the others, I like Interlux the same way some folks drink Pepsi, and some drink Coke. It's a brand loyalty thing.

Whatever brand you go with, you need to get the best surface preparation for the longest lasting, best effective paint job. First step is to use acetone (or similar) to remove all the mold release wax that will be on a new rudder. Then you need to sand the surface you want to paint to roughen it up to "hold" the paint better. (Or instead of sanding, there are various products that accomplish the "sanding" by chemical etching. Interlux's is their Fiberglass No Sand.)

Next step is the recommended primer, and then, finally your chosen bottom paint. If you choose an ablative (many reasons to do so, a few not to), lots of folks will make the first coat a different color than the last one or two. This way you can see when the top coats have "polished" off and it is time to re-coat.

I would also suggest that, once you pick a brand of bottom paint, you follow that manufacturers suggestions for cleaners, primers, et cetera - I would not mix Company A's primer with Company B's bottom paint. It may work out OK, but do you really want to do that particular "science project"?

Interlux has a painting guide on their website that is loaded with lots of good tips / info. Other manufacturers may also have info posted but I am not familiar with the others. You can find it at http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCen ... sa-eng.pdf. Whether you decide on Interlux or another company, there is lots of good info in their guide.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
VC17 is really a freshwater paint... and works great as such... it offers minimal growth protection, but is smooth as silk... I would not recommend it for salt or brackish water though.

Use what the most locals recommend, I'll make that a 3rd +1.

Following the paint manufacturers prep and application is also a +1.

I submit you might want to check to make sure the foil(s) is(are) faired correctly as well.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Mattw79 said:
Don't know what's best use, but I would stay away from the ablative paint for the rudder itself. I used it and every time I touch it on the swim ladder, I get red hand prints over everything. Fortunately it washes off pretty easy.
Matt,

That is one reason why I did not use the "cheap stuff" <grin>!

My O'Day 19 came with a very chalky blue ablative paint. It came off every time we touched it - drove us crazy!

The Capri 22 came with a badly recoated hard black bottom paint that was anything but smooth since it was years since it had been sanded smooth. I removed it after trying to find an "easy" way - there is none! I then put on two coats of Petite UnEpoxy hard coat. I liked it very much since it did not rub off on to us if we touched it.

The UnExpoxy was good for the first year. By the third season it did not keep the bottom growth away. Silly me. Should have read the instructions that said it was a single season paint. I had to sand off the UnEpoxy like I had the original black bottom paint. It is a lot of work but I did get to put on a good barrier coat (with the carbon black filler for smoothness).

I wanted to keep a clean and smooth bottom after last summer's growth and lack of pointing ability. The tides also dragged us around unbelievably. I decided to get the expensive stuff - Interlux Micron Extra which is an ablative paint. I was worried about it rubbing off if I touched it, but it does not!

I have been very happy with the Interlux Micron Extra. It has kept the growth in check. It does not rub off and make a mess. And it is multi-season. It is worth the extra cost in so many ways.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
I don't wanna sound like a commerical... but I've used several Interlux products, and have been super happy with their consistency and quality...
I've used:
Interlux watertite (fairing compound)
VC17m (bottom paint for freshwater)
Interprotect 2000e (barrier coat)
Bightsides (1 coat topside paint)
Birghtside Bootstripe (thick 1 coat bootstripe paint)

So far all of them have performed at or better than expectations... I have no reason to believe that if you pick from their site from the type of water you have, that you'll get the right product for what you'll need.

I am sure other big named products are similar in performance... I have just found Interlux's site to be most helpful.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
VC17m is what we use on Verboten too. I can't speak to long-term use but it worked fine for 8 days in the San Juans. No signs of barnacles on our bottom! :lol:

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Hershey said:
Snhool: "Call me part of the Admiralty" ... nah a deserter for leaving us and buying a Capri 25 :)

Hershey
I hear deserters (traitors) get decent treatment these days:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bradley- ... =20021288t
There was a time when traitors were executed.

Before we complain about it being political, I've not really said if this is a good thing or a bad one.

No, I'm not looking for gender reassignment, but boat reassignment I already did ;)

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
shnool said:
Hershey said:
Snhool: "Call me part of the Admiralty" ... nah a deserter for leaving us and buying a Capri 25 :)
Hershey
I hear deserters (traitors) get decent treatment these days:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bradley- ... =20021288t
There was a time when traitors were executed.
Before we complain about it being political, I've not really said if this is a good thing or a bad one.
No, I'm not looking for gender reassignment, but boat reassignment I already did ;)
The link was unavailable. Must have been very political! <grin>

A deserter, yes. But at least you stayed with the family with a Capri 25.
Now for punishment, a good keel-hauling would ensure "Ophelia's" bottom was clean.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
OK Keel haul it is... but let me take the brush with me! You were thinking about doing it on my boat right? If you see bubbles come up, take your time pulling me back up, it's already too late!

Kind of ON the original topic... We have one of our racers jumping into the water before every race cleaning the bottom of his boat. I'm bad haven't done it yet this season. We regularly beat him in real time and corrected (his rating has him significantly faster than us). Imagine if I scrubbed the scum off the bottom how much faster we'd be (probably slower knowing my luck).

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Last year I used a very soft brush on a broom stick - but saw the blue paint in the water. I knew I was going to have to repaint so I didn't care BUT now that I have repainted at $350 for paint alone...

WHAT do you clean / wipe down your hull with that doesn't shorten the life of your paint???

thanks,
Rob

Aug 21, 2013
Wow! This is fantastic...thank you all so much for your help. I will work with the information below as well as talk with locals (Clear Lake, TX). Shnool, u took me back to my childhood camping at Lake Wallenpaupack, PA:)