Bottom Paint and Oil Spill

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
For those of you who may be effected. I pulled my boat a few days ago, and was very unhappy with the condition of the bottom, which had been done with Trinidad less than two years ago. I talked to Petit, and was told by the rep for this area, that the oil in the water causes the paint to turn rubbery. There is going to be a class action lawsuit, which he said was going to happen pretty fast. If you have a bottom paint problem and are in this area, keep all receipts, and photos if possible.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
I would assume that the dispersant solvents could remove alll of the paint.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There is essentially no solvent(s) in dispersants. It is the oil itself which can and does effect bottom paint. Keep your boat out of the oil (if possible) and you should be good.
Parenthetically, most people would be pleased to get two years out of bottom paint.

RTB

Dec 2, 2009
Hunter 36_ 80-82 Kemah, Texas
Stu, I'm not sure whether I should thank you for that link? (but thanks). Watch the video of the oil-soaked bird. Click on "Something is very wrong Indeed."

Excuse me...I'm going to throw up and open a bottle of whiskey. :cry:

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
for those in the Louisiana area

After the 2005 oil spill in the Delaware, from when a single-hulled tanker bumped bottom, there was the case of an owner finding her boat down by the stern at the dock in Philadelphia. The oil had made its way through the stuffing-box gland, ultimately dragging water with it, to the point where the oil in the bilge fouled the float-switch contacts so the pump would not come on. The boat was in for the whole winter and the owner made only infrequent visits during the cold months. She would have lost it completely had she not happened to go down to the waterfront that day.

Anyone in the LA-AL-MS area ought to be checking on the boat more regularly. This nightmare will, of course, have many downsides and much negative fallout; but I'd say fouled antifouling paint will ultimately be a lesser issue than some others. Take care.

Good luck to all of you down there.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
makes sense, phillip, as the solvent effect of the oil would tend to dissolve or change the consistency of the paint, which we all know is oil soluble....widen your vinyl bootstripes and add barrier coat to the bottom and should make a good preservation of the gelcoat and underlying fibers--i dont know but is absorbing color the only damage the crude will do?? i wouldnt want to find out myself ....i havent seen it penetrate epoxy--has anyone here seen that?? i am curious, now...