Bottom Paint and Anode Replecement

BritC

Sep 22, 2020
Hunter 49 Ventura
Newbie here,

Getting acquainted with my recent purchase of a 2009 Hunter 49. Am looking at getting my first bottom paint job done in the next 2-6 months. The bottom cleaning chap describes the bottom as "Bottom paint in POOR condition overall. Missing paint in several areas, and thin in others" - does this sound urgent enough to bring forward or requires more work than a professional paint job ? And is there a prime month of the year to do a this (So. CA location).

He also described the anodes "Maxprop anode, strut, and shaft anode FAIR condition – will need replacing next service" - familiar with the anodes, but not familiar with the strut ? How much should I budget for these items?

Thanks, C

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
the description he gave you regarding paint sounds like some nonsense generic rhetoric which likely describes every boat bottom a few months after being painted.

As to the strut, they usually last decades (unless there is some other issue) with or without an anode directly on it. If you put new anodes on the prop and shaft, the strut will be fine.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Hunter 49!!

My two cents is ..........if your diver says the bottom paint is in POOR condition overall AND missing paint in several areas your boat risks loss of its barrier coating and that will significantly increase cost of a bottom paint job. Bottom painting now is cheap insurance, especially for a used boat that the seller stopped bottom maintenance when he put it up for sale. I would have the boat hauled for bottom paint inspection. The prime month to do a bottom paint job is BEFORE you loose paint. As far as anodes, request your diver replace them when he deems necessary. Maintain a good relationship with your diver and trust his reports and judgement on paint and anode condition and anode replacement interval. Your diver is a good resource for bottom paint recommendation as I know from my own diver. In the SF Bay anode replacement interval for the propeller shaft and strut and bow thruster is every 6 and 12 months, respectively. Your diver can advise on how much to budget.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @BritC on your new boat and Welcome to the forum.
Anodes on your shaft and prop are one of the least expenses you’ll worry about. For $10 of zinc you protect a couple $1000’s in prop or shaft plus the hauling and labor to replace the damage. Every marina is different. You may get 6plus months or a neighboring boat may be leaking electricity and you need to replace the anode more frequently. Your diver is like a life guard for your boat. Ask to see the old zinc’s removed so you get an idea of wear.

On a new to you boat I find it important to establish a maintenance schedule. Best way to know is to do the work or have it done then start the clock until the next scheduled event.

The recommendation about the diver is sound. Find someone you like and feel you can trust. When you cannot see the issue can get you in trouble.

Paint can be a couple of years or it can be every year. Again you need to establish the quality of the paint and then see what you experience in your marina. If your boat sits and has to have the diver clean the growth that is one way paint wears. On the other hand if you are out sailing you will help the bottom paint do it’s job of sloughing of any growth. And it is a lot more fun than watching a diver.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Our strut broke last year after 16 years. It did not have an anode. The yard that I had do the work drilled a hole through the center of the new strut and added an anode to it. We shall see in 16 years if it made a difference!