Bottlescrew/turnbuckle threads on 1989 first 32s5

Jun 12, 2014
Beneteau First 32s5 Belfast
Hello all,
I was starting to get my mast ready to go up again for the first time. I noticed all 4 of the 'closed' type bottlescrews all had the threads starting well inside the cylinder, not starting at the mouth of the bottlescrew. This would allow for only about 5 or 6 threads engaging at each end
Mast is a z spar (not the original), have any other beneteau owners noticed where the threads start on theirs?
I am not sure, either this is normal or the previous owner had perhaps drilled and re-tapped the threads to fit the existing sta-locks.
I am taking one to a nearby rigging shop in a couple of days to see what they think. Maybe this is the normal thread configuration for the bottlescrew, or is the turnbuckle as it's called.
Hopefully some other beneteau owners have a similar set up and can let me know

Thanks

Bernie

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Normally, the rig should allow for at least half of the threaded length to remain once the rig is tuned.
Is it possible that when the mast was taken down, that the turnbuckles were turned all the way in for storage purposes? When getting ready to step the mast n my boat at least, I have the turnbuckles opened up most of the way. If I don’t I would have a difficult time attaching them to the chainplates.