Border Run 2 Race & Sail Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Attitude Adjustment 2 took a first in Cruising Class. However, the bragging rights are tempered since it was mostly though attrition and failure to starts. We did, however, beat some spinnaker boats which felt good. This race was the weekend before the 4th of July, starting near the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA and ending off the fishing pier on the main channel in Shelter Island, San Diego.

This was a great race in that 70 boats started. A unique feature was that it was essentially four races with four different courses but all starting at generally the same start line about the same time. It was open to just about anything including dinghies, kite boards, etc. Finishes were in Newport Beach, Dana Point or San Diego with San Diego having two different courses finishing at the same place. Our start was 1100 Friday and our finish was 0845 Saturday. The last three miles to the finish line from the turning buoy took two hours and forty five minutes! It was a bit disconcerting to be tacking broadside to the channel doing 4 tenths of a knot with commercial shipping, go fast boats and day boats all blasting by you.

The entry list was a bit of a disappointment. The March Border Run race had over 200 boats. I would have figured something similar except it's a really busy time of year.

Anyhow, here are some photos. I thought it was interesting that I had a lot more twist in my sails than some other boats. My sails were trimmed properly though, so it may have been a rig variation, and we blew off a lot of similarly-rated boats with racing sails (composites), so I think we were doing something right.

Attachments

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well as all us 40.5 owners know, they are fast boats with that high aspect ratio main.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Very nice Rick! Job well done and thanks for the pics.

Loookkkkinnngggg sooooo forward to our Catalina run later this month. 18th until......

Cheers

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Border Run-2

We had a lot of fun the first 14 hours of the race. But once the moon went over the horizon, and the clouds came in, the fun factor faded pretty quick. It was so black out there, and you couldn't see anything, and we were exhausted. We were almost 20 miles offshore when we came abeam Mission Bay, so we abandon the race at 0345 and headed into Mission Bay. It was our first overnight offshore experience. We'll try it again.

Don
C-22 "Y-Knot?"
Mission Bay Yacht Club

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Re: Border Run-2

Don, my hat is tipped for you just attempting the race. I have been in the same position plenty of times. Sorry I missed you in SD. We took a guest slip at Silvergate YC. Like I said, most of our class dropped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.