Bootstripe

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Anybody put Catalina's bootstripe tape on? I think the original which is now badly faded is paint. Catalina sells vinyl stick on bootstripe which "sounds like " an easy option.
Thanks

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
Buff and wax it. Mine was badly faded too and when I polished my boat last year the boot stripe shined up like new with a little polishing compound.

Attachments

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Wow thats amazing. I wax mine every year but it never comes up like that. I guess I need better polishing compound. What did you use?

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
I actually just used the Collinite No. 920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner. Then I waxed it with Collinite Fleetwax.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'd like to hear more about the vinyl bootstripe. Mine is totally streaked and faded after using different cleaners to get rid of the ICW "mustache".

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I pulled my boat in December for a bottom job. Used Maguire's Ultra-Cut 120 polishing compound and a DA electric polisher with a thick foam pad. It worked great and made the boot stripe really shine. Made the entire hull below the rub rail look great.

I did hit a few especially faded spots with 3000 grit wet sand paper and a sanding block.

Followed that up with Collonite Boat Wax. Now it looks really good.

Cheers,
Jim

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Just an important FYI - the stripe is not painted on, that is gel-coat that was sprayed in the mold prior to the hull layup. Yes, polish or even very fine wet sand will bring the color back but - USE CAUTION it is only a couple thousandth thick.